PDA

View Full Version : Switch Rods

matt johnson
08-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I guess this topic belongs in the spey forum...?

I am intrigued by the concept of the switch rod. I would like a switch rod that perfoms comparably to an 10' #8 single-hander, ie loads with about the same grain-weight and has the same fish-fighting capability.

Specifically regarding the Bob Meiser/Beulah series of switch rods, which one handles like a 10' #8, the 6/7, 7/8, or 8/9??

Like my trusty Sage 8100 RPL+, I would be asking this rod to perform the gamut of steelhead duties: long casts with bushy skaters on the North Umpqua to fly rod gear fishing on the coast with glo-bugs using five 3/0 water gremlins on a 12' drop under an indicator. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt.

SPG
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Matt,

The switch concept is really fun and effective and the Beulah / Meiser is a great rod. The single size 8 equivalent is the 5/6 Switch. The also have a new 4/5 Switch for trophy trout (@ single 6) This can be used for summer steel on the Rogue. If you want line configs for various casting, set up styles give me a call. You need to know about the "Dragon's Tail".

Steve G 541-840-2594

sculpin
08-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Matt
Call James Saughnessy at 1-800-537-7137. He is the Rep. Or call Steve G above, he is the goto line person.

Mark

AndreD
08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Matt

I have a 10' 6wt switcher the new ones Bob Meiser makes. Right now I am using my 8wt Versatip and it works just fine, I use it like a normal single hander. Bob recommend that when I use it to throw spey casts, I should match it with a Hardy Mach #8. I hope this is useful for you. Oh, I also use the versatip with my Sage XP 896.

Andre

matt johnson
08-20-2006, 09:56 PM
hey guys,

thanks for the responses. I am pretty sure the switch rod would be the ideal tool for some of the small river coastal winter steelheading I like to do. I just need to get my hands on a couple of them to figure out what model would work for me. Somebody needs to throw a Nor Cal/Southern Oregon spey clave!

SPG, could you descibe the "Dragons Tail"? I like the name. Matt.

sculpin
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Matt
Gary Anderson is putting on a clave in September. Call Steve above. Here is a link that says a little about it.

http://p076.ezboard.com/fsouthernoregonflyfishing16217frm22.showMessage?to picID=164.topic

SPG
08-21-2006, 10:05 PM
HI Matt

If you come to the 2 handers at touvelle, Sat Sept 30th, you will have a chance to cast all the Beulah and Meiser Switch Rods.

The Dragon's Tail is a development of mine that evolved out of a spey line building seminar I had with Al Burh. I love scandi style shooting heads but find them a little short, requiring more shooting than I would like. I have engineered a rear tapered shooting line that excepts 24 to 40 foot heads extending them to windcutter style lines. They work great and have no down side. I do not believe much effort has gone into rear taper designs in fly lines. I feel the success of the new CND lines can be attributed to the their rear taper. The development will continue.

SPG