PDA

View Full Version : Sinking Line question

slage
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Looking for opinions regarding sinking lines. Short and to the point, what I am trying to find is a good all-around sinking line for the American.
I DON'T want an inter-changable/ multi-tip system but rather one that would work well for the majority of the year, primarily for steelhead.
I know the best all around bet would be a multi-head system on any given body of water but I'm lazy. Also, figure since there are soooo many choices that one or three specific types would fair well.
Any thoughts would be appreciated....
Thanks

nightgoat
08-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I pretty much use just one sinking line on the A. It's a SA Streamer Express 250 grain. I fish it on the 7wt for steelies, stripes and shad. I've also used it on the 9 for salmon. Works pretty good for the "normal" flows on the A.

Jeff C.
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
24 ft 200 grain Rio DC sink tip for me. It works great on my 6 wt. on the A. I like it better than a Teeny in that the running line shoots out a lot slicker.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Some like the Rio 15' Density Compensating sink tips. I would get a type IV. A type III might work most of the time. This is for medium flows and active fish in the daytime when the sun is up.

__________________________________________________ _______

For bigger river and higher flows you might need a "Teeny type" integrated sink-tip/sink-head. Then having a 200-250-300 grain 24-26' sinktip would be good too.

Hewie
08-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree with nightgoat. I stopped using my shooting heads this year because I found by changing my casting angle (in relation to the flow) and throwing mends I can fish the depths I need with a SA Streamer Express 250 grain. I also carry a couple of short lengths of LC13 with loops on both ends that I can put between line and leader, but I've never even used them. For a wading angler, a single integrated line really keeps the complexity down.
Dave

WinterrunRon
08-09-2006, 12:05 AM
I agree with nightgoat and Wind Knot. SA Streamer Express 250 grain (full sinking used primarily for stripers) or Teeny 200 for shad and steelhead (floating running line). I use them on 7 and 8 wts. Both are the best in their class, you won't be disappointed. Hate the Rio, SA Striper and SA Custom Tip Express lines. Way too stiff, way too much memory. My two cents worth. Good luck with your decision. Ron

Adam Grace
08-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Purchase a sink tip line with a head length of 24-30' and around 200-250 grains depending on the rod that you will be casting with. For a 7wt try around 200-250 grains. For an 8wt try 250-300 grains. The longer head will allow you to fish for more species like Striper and deep dwelling Salmon as well as the Steelhead that you mentioned before. A 15' tip is nice for steelies but too short for striper fishing.

Next you have to consider what you are fishing from, a boat or while wading.

If you are wading I would recommend a floating running line. The floating running line will allow you to mend yoour line and control the speed of your swing. Floating RL will help you control your line before casting as it sits on top of the water instead of sinking deep and reducing your chances of shooting the submerged line..

If you are fishing from a boat I recommend an intermediate running line so that your head will sink faster and you will have a more direct line of contact between you and your fly.

As far as manufacturers go, I agree with the other guys about the S.A. streamer express (30' head) if you want an intermediate running line for boat fishing, the int. RL will make shooting off line while wading difficult. For a line with a floating RL try the Rio DC sinktip with a 24' tip. The head is thinner and more dense than S.A.'s and the runnig line is nice and slick.

Lastly, ask one of the guys at Kiene's which grain weight they recommend for your rod. Also tell him how much casting experience you have and what type of rod action do you like.

I hope this helps.