PDA

View Full Version : Delta in a kayak

bkobrin
08-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Would anyone be able to suggest a few areas on the Delta that I could give LMB fishing a try in a kayak? I suppose quiet water is the key! One medium sized wake and I'd be done for. Thanks in advance. I'm in Stockton.

Hairstacker
08-08-2006, 03:43 AM
You'll find quiet water in just about any slough when it's not windy but it's not so easy to find a spot where you're totally isolated from boat wakes unless you're in a 5 mph zone around a marina. As long as you stay away from routes popular with BIG boats, water skiers, etc., though, you should be okay, as you can usually hear a boat coming from a distance and can prepare for the wake by pointing your kayak towards it or away from it ahead of time. I'm thinking any kind of kayak should be able to handle that. What kind of kayak do you have? Are you able to launch from the side of a rock levee? Have you tried fly fishing out of it yet?

bkobrin
08-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I've got an Ocean Kayak Malabu 2 XL. I've taken it to Rancho Seco a few times and fished out of it then, but I've never had to deal with wakes. It is VERY stable, so if you think that most kayaks can handle it, then I'm sure mine will do just fine.

This is my first summer fly fishing and since I can only get up to the mountains on the weekends I need something to get me through the week! Hopefully fishing the Delta a few mornings/evenings will do the trick. This damn sport is addicting.

mikenewman
08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Get yourself a good Delta map eg "Fish'n'Map and look for dead end/blocked off sloughs and see if you can access them. I know there is an annual kickboat tournament on the Delta so there is obviously safe water to be found. As a strong note of caution, I fish out of a sturdy 16' aluminium boat and have had several occasions when I have had to hold onto my bow rail for dear life as a result of overpowered boats crewed by underpowered brains. Pick your spots carefully, be vigilant and have a blast :thumbsup:

Mike