PDA

View Full Version : A Game worth Playing

Bald-heron
08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
After seeing the recent threads on LMB's on the delta, thought I would add my $.02. Range of Ambient temps (highs) 110F-80F - fish still responding but less on days of higher temps. More CRITICAL seems to be the water temps. 80F less activity. 76-77F much better. Water clarity:my results are better with clearer water. Try to avoid hyacinths especially those resently sprayed (no bugs!) A combination of tules, rip-rap, nice green water, with sunken weed beds in front. My mistake was not fishing those sunken weed beds in front - some fish were coming from 4-8ft of water with sunken weeds. (I was taking my bug out too soon) Presentation is probably the most important part of the game. (KD and a conventional tackle money winner by the name of VanDam) think so too. Lady luck has been good to me. The trick has been to find the lower water temps, tides, light conditions (shade etc.)and habitat with clean water. Leave one of the ingredients out and the takes become much less frequent. As KD has noted some takes are very light (with a reduced hooking %. This is a fun game to play for someone who thought trout=flyfishing for 50+yrs. LMB is as good as sight fishing for browns with your mate in NZ. Get out there and play - the ambient temps have dropped!!!! and I hope someone tangles with the bloody bass that I could't move today with my 7wt. Going back out tomorrow to play the game!!!
Gary Hinman - my $.02

Darian
08-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Gary,.... That's a boat load of very good info.... 8) 8) 8) Indeed, Bass fishin' is "a game worth playing." :) :)

Good luck tomorrow. Looking forward to a report of your results. :D :D :D

Hairstacker
08-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Yep, appreciate the comments Gary! I like the kind of takes that almost give you a heart attack, especially if you were daydreaming a bit. :lol:

Bald-heron
08-09-2006, 02:18 PM
8-08-06: Had another good morning on the Delta - top fish 4lbs. Bite over by 10AM. Brilliant while it lasted! I need to thank KD for giving graciously of the keys to the Delta - the presentations, habitat, tides, water, etc. This is an intricate game to play and will be a fun adventure learning the Delta secrets. Where else can you watch a 5lb bass eat your fly off a tule!!! Thanks again to KD for passing on the addiction.

lee s.
08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
And it IS an addiction! :lol:
Welcome. :wink:
....lee s.