PDA

View Full Version : Floatant?

sacreno
08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
I have been using Shimazaki Dry Shake and like it because its clean and fast. The only thing is it's expensive and it starts to solidify fast. I have tried to grid the rocks up that form after use and it seems to work again.

What do you guys use and why....?

Thanks

DonCooksey
08-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I have the same floatant in one of my lower vest pockets, but it is still nice and powdery after 2 years, in spite of being submerged many times. Admittedly, when treating dry flies, I usually reach out of habit for the adjacent pocket with Gink in it, and make a mess of my fly and fingers with that greasy stuff. I've mainly used the Dry Shake for really small flies like I've used at Hot Creek, and the flies are always dry when I put them in there. Still, I'm really amazed at how dry that powder has remained after all of the times that I know that I have totally submerged the container it in my vest while wading. Nicely-designed closure, I guess.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2006, 12:18 AM
We carry many types of floatants.

For the silicone gel/paste types we sell lots of Dave's Bug Float, Aquel and Gink. I hear about 'Fly Sauce' but can't find a source for it wholesale.

For desiccant based powder we sell tons of Shimazaki Dry Shake and some Frogs Fanny too.

Some guides still use Mucilin too.

Darian
08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Actually,.... I try to add floatant at the completion opf tying a dry fly. Out on the stream, I still like Mucillin.... 8) 8)

Rick J
08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
For small flies espercially those tied with cdc Frogs Fanny is tough to beat - I really like the applicator with this - I have been using it alot over the last 4 years - I generally use a paste the first time (except for cdc flies) then go to Frogs Fanny for all additional applications

Jgoding
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I use the patented formula called "false casting" :shock:

LOL, I think the first floatant I tried was Ghinks.... and since I'm partial to sticking with what I like (since it worked alright) I think I have a new bottle around somewhere that I just bought at Kienes since I'm starting to run low.... I have the original bottle someone gave me when I visited the Green River the first time.... something like 15 years ago, (wow, time flies)
I tie a mean dry so I never have a problem with them sinking I guess and if they do, well, then it's an emerger pattern....

sacreno
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I use the patented formula called "false casting" :shock: ....

LOL...Jgoding.. I do too but when all you have is a roll cast, my inadequate puffball Stimulator gets soaked especially when I have a strike every cast.. :wink: and lately thats whats been happening!!!

Actually,.... I try to add floatant at the completion opf tying a dry fly. Out on the stream, I still like Mucillin.... 8) 8)

I'm not the most knowledgeable tier so please explain Darian

We carry many types of floatants.

I just picked up a bottle of Shimazaki Dry Shake from your shop and it started to bead up already. Am I doing something wrong? I follow directions very well but it seems to be a bit of a problem.

08-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I just tie all my dries with foam. Here is a link to a caddis pattern I came up with:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/022706fotw.html

I realized after the fact that my "new technique" for attaching the foam under the hook was already done in the dropper hopper. Anyways, I tie these down to about a size 18 on Tiemco 900BL hooks. A little shake in a desicant powder to dry out the hackle and hair wing is all you ever need. I dispise soaked dries that won't float!!! Here are a couple pictures and a link to some others on my website.

http://www.kratvillephoto.com/Caddis

http://www.kratvillephoto.com/images/2006-03-04_M1W2646small.jpg

http://www.kratvillephoto.com/sitebuilder/images/2006-03-04_M1W2635small-600x360.jpg

Matt Frey
08-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I use frog's fanny.

Those are some good looking flies. A few times I have had problems with the foam acting like a sponge. Any special techniques to prevent this?

sacreno
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Nice pattern!!! How's the durability?

08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
They're as durable as anything else. I just really like foam, it floats, it doesn't get all pulled apart or unravel. The segmentd body just looks buggy to me. My brother was doing really well with a Stimulator and I was using this pattern at Sagehen Creek. He definately had more of a problem with his fly waterlogging and sinking than I did.

FishFiend
08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Those flies are junk! I tried one on the Sagehen last weekend and it totally fell apart! I wouldnt trust anything that davkrat says! Of course he is my brother so I should know! HA HA just kidding, those flies are actually really goods producers and if tied properly will hold up just fine.

Later

Darian
08-09-2006, 11:23 PM
sacreno,.... Adding floatant at the point of completion of the fly can mean that you spray the fly with a floatant or add a piece of foam at the last point of tying or make the body out of foam.... Whatever you can think of that will make a fly float when tied in or added/sprayed during the process.... 8) 8)

Experiment when tying and don't get locked into one way of looking at tying a fly. It sure is fun when a design comes together. :D :D :D

sacreno
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Those flies are junk! I tried one on the Sagehen last weekend and it totally fell apart! I wouldnt trust anything that davkrat says! Of course he is my brother so I should know! HA HA just kidding, those flies are actually really goods producers and if tied properly will hold up just fine.

Later

HAHAHA FishFiend!!!! After the first line I figured you were related..

Whatever you can think of that will make a fly float when tied in or added/sprayed during the process....

Thanks Darian! I will do that! I don't do much Still Water fishing so I need to do something. Although when the dry turns into an emerger it works pretty good.

Shopping list has started:
FOAM
Dry Fly Spray...Recomendations?
Steal any books from Dad about tying Dry's.....LOL
A bottle of Glen Levitt Black label so these Delisi ugly's look better when I'm done

Thanks for the info guys!!

Darian
08-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I like silicone based liquid and solid floatants but as posted by others, dessicants work well, too.... I believe Scotchguard might work. :? :? 8) 8)

09-13-2006, 11:38 PM
i like poo goo- its less prone to running when its hot
de