PDA

View Full Version : Silver Creek is back

Rick J
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
4 weeks ago Don and I were throwing 8 and 10 wts with 50 and 80# bite tippets with 1/0 flies for tarpon 5# to 80#.

This last week we were throwing 2 wts with 7x tippet and size 24 tricos!!! We just got back from our annual pilgrimage to Silver Creek and I am very excited. Around 4 years ago it really took a dive and the fish numbers crashed. Last year it appeared to be making a recovery and this year things were back in force. Large pods of fish gulping like crazy during the trico hatch and spinner fall with great fishing before and after to Callibaetis duns and spinners. The fish on average were not as large as in th past but next year will be totally awesome!!!

As fun as those trapon are my true passion is spring creeks!! Can't think of any fishing I would rather do.

The fish averaged maybe 13" though I hooked a good number of fish ranging from 17 to 19". The weather for the first two days was hot and great for huge spinner falls and great pods of fish. The next three days a front came through and slowed things down. The last two days it started heating up and things improved - when the bugs happened the fish came out in force.

The evenings were a bit slow compared to last year - last year there were huge hatches of callibaetis just before dark followed by a spinner fall right at dark until it was too dark to see.

I am attaching a great trico spinner pattern we have been using for the last 5 years or so - using magic dub (micro chenille) as an extended body with a dubbed throax. All black imitates the male. You can use a light olive magic dub as the abdomen for the female with a black dubbed thorax. I am also attaching a photo of the callibaetis spinner fall from last year in our headlights.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/trico004.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/charlies1-1.jpg

sacreno
08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Sounds like fun Rick. If you don't mind me asking...Which Silver Creek is this...I know of the Silver Creeks near Ice House but you don't see those sizes of fish in that Tributary often.

Nice report and picks....Looks like your car ate spinners without a bib

Rick J
08-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Silver Creek out of Sun Valley/Ketchum, Idaho. A section of it is owned by teh Nature Conservancy - we have been going back there for close to 25 years.

Bill went back with us one year and had a great trip catching lots of large rainbows!

sacreno
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Ahhhhh!! Thanks for clearing that up for me...I have heard of that and would love to go some day.