PDA

View Full Version : Delta 8-6-06

Hairstacker
08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Been a little while since I've posted a report, so figured I was overdue. Went to the Delta this morning for a few hours and fished this experimental diver I tied with an ostrich herl tail. Due to its color, I call it a blackbird diver:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/8-6-06Delta1.jpg

Went to an old favorite spot and noticed the water was JUST NOW :? becoming fishable this year, with the water more green than brown:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/8-6-06Delta3.jpg

Ended up catching a few by fishing outside and between weed lines bordering deeper water with a continuous, medium speed retrieve. This one just savaged the fly :shock: after about the 3rd or 4th strip about 10 feet inside of an opening in the weed line. Got him on the reel really quickly, pulled him away from the weed line as soon as I could, and then enjoyed having him bulldog me out in open water. He was nice and thick and put a real good bend in the 7wt.:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/8-6-06Delta2.jpg

I really liked the way the new fly worked, and I plan to tie up several more. The ostrich herl really undulates well in the water and held up to repeated assaults. I had discovered it when tying up and fishing strymph variants, and I highly recommend you give this stuff a try if you're not already familiar with it.

The day was nice too, not too hot and relatively calm. All in all, another fun and relaxing morning spent bass buggin' out of the inflatable kayak on the Delta. :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-06-2006, 11:58 PM
We used ostrich herl on a squid pattern for Baja and it was amazing how durable it was besides working well.

Bass fishing down in the Delta should be good with this cooling weather.

KD
08-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Mike, you let the Tap('s) run dry? :D Nice fish. Glad the southland is shaping up.

Here's a Delta report (nonff'ing)for those that find it hard to believe you can catch huge bass on topwater. Mid day and mid summer .The Snagproof tm tournament this weekend saw a 13.5lb fish and a 10.17lb fish brought in. My good friend's boat partner caught the 10.17lb'r.

Both fish ate like a bluegill. I'm routinely mentioning to clients
that you never know how big a fish is by the way it eats. As told to me, the 13.5lb fish came up and turned on it's side and sipped(sucked?)down the bait. The 10 also ate very lightly,..like a bluegill or very small bass..as my friend told the story.

The moral of the story? Set on everything!!

JerryInLodi
08-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Hairstacker, is the fly staying underwater during the entire retrieve or is it bobbing to the top between strips? NICE looking fish.

I've been unable to fish the mornings and was KILLED by some of the afternoon winds. I checked the wind guage at the Sugar Barge and saw gusts to 25mph. Really cuts down on the fishable water.

I'll have my boat out of the water for the next three days for bottom paint but will be fishing again on Thursday!

Hairstacker
08-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Kevin, after seeing the size of those bass your clients have been pulling out on divers, I just couldn't resist. . . . :lol: It was kind of fun to fish something different. I think the two flies (Tap's Bug and Dahlberg Diver) complement each other really well, as they have pretty different actions even though they're both topwater deer hair bass bugs. I did try a Tap's Bug for a while but wasn't getting any action on it today. Go figure.

Jerry, I was letting the diver bob up between strips but I didn't let it sit still. Yeah, those afternoon winds can be a killer out there at times. There have been times when I've driven out there, got out of the car and looked around, then got right back in and drove home. :? :lol: I would be leery of Delta-area wind forecasts, though, as I've found them unreliable.

mikenewman
08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Love that bug pic, Mike: "Fly walk the line" - not only a diver but WITH weedguard :D
What's the tangle factor with that herl and how does it withstand bass savaging?

Adam Grace
08-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Nice bass and good idea with the ostrich.

Hairstacker
08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey Mike! The herl does move around the hook bend occasionally but doesn't seem to affect the action too much. When I notice it, I just pull it out. The herl seems to stand up really well, much better than I expected. After repeated maulings and snags in tullies, tree branches, etc., it doesn't look any different to me than when I first tied it in. 8) Great stuff, you should give some a try when you get a chance.

Richard
08-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Mike,

That's one nice fish and one nice bug. I will have to try the ostrich herl, looks like a winner. :D

Been out of action for a while with visiting grandchildren, then a touch of the old body not healing like it used to :( then getting rid of my last academic responsibility at a conference :D . Hopefully next Friday I'll get out on the water again, if I can remember how to cast. :?