PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Carson.

Matt Frey
08-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Hello,
I was hoping I could get a little bit of advice from this very knowledgeable board. A couple buddies and I want to head up to the Carson this weekend. We were thinking the East Fork near Markleeville (Hangman's Bridge maybe?), but are open to any suggestions. We need to find a place to camp. We are going to be driving up late tonight. Any suggestions on where we can camp, where we should be fishing and what patterns to bring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and tight lines!
Matt

FoothillFlyFisher
08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Give Tahoe FlyFishing Outfitters in South Lake Tahoe a call. They've got a great staff at the shop they should be able to help you out with everything you need.

530-541-8208 or toll free 1-877-541-8208

Or on the web. @ tahoeflyfishing.com

bigtj
08-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Hike downstream from Hangman's bridge or you can go down from the airport and fish up or down. Fish early until about 1 or after 5 and bring plenty of water. Fish hopper-dropper or if you want to fish dries an EC caddis, swinging soft-hackles or streamers work well. If you hike down a ways the fish are pretty stupid.

I Haven't camped in that area - live in Reno no need to - but there is a campground at grover hot springs, one right before Markleville, and one at Indian creek reservoir, so take your pick and let us know what you think.

You can look at a map of the area on topozone.com or use a delorme it will all come crystal clear.

PatrickM
08-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Matt,
I was in Tahoe Flyfishing Outfitters the other day and the guy told me that stonefly nymphs and green caddis pupa are working throughout the day, and that there is some good dry fly action in the evenings.
The closest camp to Hangman's Bridge is on the left side of the road right a couple of hundred yards once you go through Markleeville. It's a small dirt road that's easy to miss, and the camp is right beside Markleeville Creek. There are also some rough camp spots right by the airport where the road goes down to the river.
Looking forward to the report.
Good luck.

jfkowalski
08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
There is camping on the west side of Indian Creek Reservoir. the trailer sites usually fill up early, but there are often tent sites open. Best bet is the area around the Markleville airport as pm stated. Some people aslo camp along the road about 1/4 mile before the airport. No facilities, no water, just dirt.
In a pinch, there is a lot of camping up Blue Lakes Road on the West Fork.