PDA

View Full Version : David Lee / Shark Slimed ?

Tony Buzolich
08-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Dave,

I caught that little bit about washing the leopard shark slime off your hands.

Care to enlighten us with a little teaser?

I'll be over that way next week for a few days and could use a little direction.
TONY

David Lee
08-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Tony .

Candida and I went to spot 'X' - my Leopard Shark spot ...... We got there at 11:30 AM (at low slack tide ....) and found the inlet barren . The first half of incoming was empty of Leopards .

I had this crazy thought that we would get skunked ......... :?

Around 2:30 , a HUGE pod came in to feed - we landed 15 Leopards and 1 gray Smoothhound and lost 25-30 others in the next 2 1/2 hours :shock: . I didn't have time to finish a smoke before another Shark bit ! While I probably could have hung one on a fly in that 4 hour period , I'd brought a light spinning stick and stuck w/ Sardines :oops:

We used 4/0 EC circle hooks on 20 lb. leaders , and released every single Shark . It was just total , non-stop insanity untill we got sick of wrasslin' those devils at high slack tide .

Not exactly the worst way to turn 41 ......

David :D

Tony Buzolich
08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Dave,
SARDINES!? At least you could have juiced a fly with some ProCure or something.

Glad you had a great times. Really sounds like fun.
TONY

Jay Murakoshi
08-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Tony,

If you can, send me an email. I have to ask you a question regarding a photo of you and Kim.

Thanks

Jay

David Lee
08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Gray Smoothhound .
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030004.JPG
Good example of flexability .... watch them fingers !
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030007.JPG
Proper grip - it doesn't work so well on Sharks over 4 feet ....
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030011.JPG
Pocket Leopard !!
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030016.JPG
Candida and the last Leopard of the day ....
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030023.JPG
Not the biggest , but nice colors -
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/fadoe/P8030018.JPG

There ya have it .

Darian
08-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Wow!!! The markings on those animals are a lot like a Rattlesnake. :shock: :shock: Sharks are beautiful (and fun to catch, too :) :) ).

Tony Buzolich
08-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Great pics Dave.
TONY

Hairstacker
08-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Awesome David!! Sounds like you and Candida had a blast! I think this makes two years in a row that you and Candida have gone shark fishing on your birthday. 8) 8) 8)

Wednesday Caster
08-06-2006, 11:33 PM
David,
Perfect report to correspond with SHARK WEEK!
Nice pics!

OregonSalmon
08-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Picking on sharks Dave.....shame on you!!!! Up north we send out the surfers and let the sharks pick on the humans.

Are the leopards edible? I've had some good shark in my day. Leopard shark burritos would be darn good I think. Thinking of a marinade. Or even a seviche. As always with my mind, a work in progress.

Flyjunkie
08-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Gotta love them Leopards and Smoothhounds... They are certainly Great Sport!!!!

My "local Hot Spot" for Sharks seems to be coming back on after about 2 years of almost Non-existent action.. (the Power Plant is up and Running again..) :)

Me Thinks I should grabs the 7 & 8wts and go see what Kinda trouble I can get into with them Sharkies.... :wink:

Kudos on the Perfect Way to spend one's Birthday... :)

DEAN ~ 8) 8)

Joseph Narkevitz
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
David,

Happy Birthday (belated).

It sounds like you had a great time with the sharks.

Rita and I are on the East Coast. She had a cousin that got married so it was an excuse for a family reunion. It was fun to meet a lot of the cousins, aunts and uncles.

We are on the Jersey Shore now. Rita's sister Lisa has a little house on Long Beach Island. So cool! I have been surfing, kayaking and fishing. Life is tough.

The variety of fish in the Atlantic is amazing.

I will post more when I get home next Friday. I am using Lisa's computer today.

Thanks again for your hospitality, and the great fishing with you.

Peace,

Joseph

SteelieD
08-08-2006, 02:05 AM
Shark on the fly... David you are the man! Happy b-day!

sculpin
08-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Nice pictures David and great report.

Mark

Katz
08-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I have a 5 and 7 year old that would love to see one of those up close. Soaking sardenes and goofing around while waiting for one would be a great way to introduce them to "ocean fish".

I would never ask for "X" spots but can anyone give a good location for a decent shot at a leopard shark. I used to catch them for hrs in Mission Bay in SD. My sister even had a rod leap out of her lap and go bubbling off into the bay behind one of those critters.

Any help appreciated. :)

Kraig

lee s.
08-08-2006, 07:07 PM
David,
There are a couple good bass ponds near there too.
I'm sure you know those "grips" (except the "stretch" one) are not good for the "dog fish"..... a little green eyed shark, sometimes caught out htere too. They have a spine near the top fins and are VERY painful if poked by'em.
.....lee s.
41!? REALLY! ;-)

David Lee
08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi Lee .

I'm a little confused ...... I've gone back and looked at the photos , and can see nothing wrong with the way I'm holding the Sharks - no fingers in the gills , eye sockets , etc. - I really try to avoid holding them AT ALL because ..... I like my fingers . I've always thought that getting a grip on the back of the head (in front of the gill-slits , not in them ...) and the other hand on the tail was the best way to hold a Shark .

Is this incorrect ?

I've seen the little Brown Smoothhounds in there w/ the lumunious green eyes - pretty cool little fish (haven't hooked one yet , though ...) . Thanks for NOT posting the name of that area , those Sharks would be wiped-out by the meat fishermen in no time at all .....

Flyjunkie
08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I've seen the little Brown Smoothhounds in there w/ the lumunious green eyes - pretty cool little fish (haven't hooked one yet , though ...) . Thanks for NOT posting the name of that area , those Sharks would be wiped-out by the meat fishermen in no time at all .....

DAVID,

I know Exactly What You're Saying there... The "Meat Anglers" find out about good fishing Locals, start hammerin' it and Constantly Kill the Legal Limit..then in a Short Time Frame these Same Folks Bitch about the Fishing Not being as Good as it used to be..
Funny thing is (While Maybe Funny, Maybe Pathetically Sad) when you ask them if they can Figure out WHY The Fishing isn't as Good as it used to be... They Cannot Put 2 + 2 together and Realize Their Constantly Taking Home Limits Did the Area in... :?

Just Cause the Reg Books state a Limit on Fish, doesn't Mean you Should or Have a Right to Kill that Many Everytime...

I'm a "Grand Master" at coming up with "Alias" for Waters I fish that cannot Deal with Too Much Pressure...
I've caught some Flak about doing this, but I Protect my Secret Spots.. Only Sharing them with a Select few.... :wink:

DEAN ~ 8) 8)

Hairstacker
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey David, just a guess, but I think Lee is just saying the "grip" is not a good technique for holding "dog fish," 'cause you risk getting painfully poked. Is that what you meant Lee?

David Lee
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey David, just a guess, but I think Lee is just saying the "grip" is not a good technique for holding "dog fish," 'cause you risk getting painfully poked. Is that what you meant Lee?

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

That would make sense ........ I'm so dense sometimes .

David

lee s.
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes, they can twist around and poke you.....painful indeed. :wink: Like a catfish spine.

OregonSalmon
08-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Hey Lee,
You look like a damn knock off of Bill Murruy in those pics. And quit smoking while handling sharks....don't you know second hand smoke is the only way to give a shark cancer!!!!
Head north in a month and I'll show you how to really do a fish in. We call it a bat. Casting, tugging, clubbing....the worst part is what to do next. Miserable world. The critters mistreat me so poorly.