PDA

View Full Version : Stingers?

PaulC
07-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,
Got a call from my buddy up north. He banged two stripes on a bug I tied for him. Long sardina style pattern (5+ inches) chart over white slinky fiber with angel hair mixed in.
Even better was the gear guys that hunkered down on his left and right weren't hookin up.
I guess last weekend was an anomaly due to temps.

He mentioned that he had 3-4 strikes that he missed and it got me thinking.

At what length of bug do you guys start throwing stinger hooks on.
How do you tye them on? Nail knot to the shank and material on top?
What type of mono or fluoro?
I've always seen em riding point up...does it matter?
Any experience with fouling fish this way?
Granted the biggest stripe was 13+ lb so I doubt it would have fouled, but a perch still nailed that bug. Go figure.
-Paul

PaulC
07-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey Carl and Darian,
Thanks for the info.
My buddy is fishing the coast not the delta, so missed takes could just be due to tidal surge and losing contact with the bug.
For most stuff I've done in the fast, 3-4 inches has been fine so i've never thought about stingers.
Just curious as usual.
-Paul

Jay Murakoshi
07-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Paul,

I have been using a stinger hook set up for a number of years. My favorite hook sizes are 4/0 - 6/0. These are mainly for sails and marlin.
Over the years and with the help of Trey Combs, we have designed the stinger set up so the stinger hook in no more the 2" from the main hook.
Also, using alot of synthetics you can have big problems with tangles in the stinger hook. One solution that I have found to kinda eliminate the tangles is to tie in some bucktail at the eye of the stinger hook and flare it.
Your other materials should ride on top of the flared bucktail.
I use Sevenstrand 95 lb wire to attach the stinger to the main hook. It's the same procedure Ray Beadle uses.

I have tried some stingers on stripers but it's not necessary. I also use the stinger hook setup on my squid flies, especially when I tie a 14" squid fly on a tube.

As a matter of fact, my next article for FFSW magazine will be on stinger hooks and the fly that will be demo'd will be the Pink Lady Sea Habit.
A great fly for sails and marlin. I will have photo's showing the technique for attaching the stingers and the tying of the fly.

Jay

PaulC
07-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Right on Jay. Look forward to the read.
Talking with my buddy again this morning, they got a couple small schoolies on the same pattern and one 6lb fish on a clouser style half and half.
So, I'm thinking he was just losing connection in the surge and missing the set yesterday.
Still always cool to read about different tying techniques. Definitely a cool technique with the bucktail to avoid fouling. Totally makes sense.
Speaking of big marlin flies. Do you know a good tying reference for big offshore patterns like the bleeding mackerel, etc.?
-Paul

Darian
07-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey Paul,..... Try flyfishusa.com for a description of the Bleeding Mackeral. 8) This fly is an FPF by Kate/Bill Howe. Their flies, also, appear in "Innovative Saltwater Flies" by Bob Veverka along with many others. 8) 8)