PDA

View Full Version : The shad are rolling. Are they eatin or just spawning?

TheBanshee
07-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Went out to Sailor Bar on Wednesday late afternoon. Didn't get any hits nymphing. Two groups of guys were catching shad fairly often skipping poppers over the surface very fast.

Surface activity began with sunset and soon the shad were breaking surface like crazy in 2-3 of water all around me. I switched to a dry fly on floating line but couldn't get any interest in a #12 caddis.

I've never seen that much surface activity, especially in such shallow water. Am wondering if it was spawning activity and that expains my failure to catch. Looking for any excuse. ;)

Anyone have an opinion?

Dave

Tony Buzolich
07-28-2006, 10:18 PM
We just got reports today that a new bunch of shad have shown up at the Thermolito outlet where everybody is fishing salmon.

Sure seems late but then this wasn't a normal winter / spring rain we had with all the high water.
TONY

Finsane
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I think most of that surface activity is pike minnows feeding on the caddis.

Katz
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
My opinion is that they we spawning and it is nearly impossible to get them to take anything when they are doing that. We tried fishing that same situation for several hours.....no luck with anything. A big net would have made it very easy though.

Katz

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-11-2007, 07:36 PM
In the evening when they are streaking around on top I beleive that is spawning.

They take caddis on top just like a trout too.

On a really calm night Jeff Putnam showed us that you can 'skate/wake' an Elk Hair Caddis on top in a tailout.

If you fish the last hour all you probably need is a floating line.