PDA

View Full Version : props on american river

HUMMDINGER
07-28-2006, 07:46 PM
was looking to do some flyfishing for stripers on the american and was wondering if i would be in truble if i launched at discovery part and went up the river in a 12' klamath with a 9.9 evenrude motor, any major low spots i should know about?? also what are you guys using for line i have 15' of lc 13 fallowed by 10' of a sinking tip will that work in the river or shold i go with something else. not to sound like to much of a newie but do clowdsers work well or do you recomend something else thanks for all the info

lee s.
07-29-2006, 12:39 AM
It has been awhile. As I remember there was a shallow riffle above the RR bridge. You could push that boat thru and gain more water. Night fishing was allowed only below I-80 bridge. We are partial to deceivers and LC in the daytime and poppers at night.
I'm sure the locals can give you far better than that. :wink:
.....lee s.

HUMMDINGER
07-29-2006, 01:56 AM
thanks for the input hope to get out there with in the next week or so later all

Tony Buzolich
07-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Believe me, I'm not bragging, but I've taken my 19' Harbercraft w/50 hp Merc prop twice up to Watt Ave from Discovery. Both times I caught rock either just above or just below Paradise.

Both times it cost me a prop :(

The other thought is trying to go slow. You can't in shallow water. You've got to be up on plane in order to make it over the rock.

Then, you also have to consider the speed limit :wink: on the river. The 5 mph limit isn't conducive to getting up on plane.

Maybe with a smaller boat you can do it? You won't know if you don't try.

I almost forgot, THREE times I tried it. :roll:

When I was 15 my best friend and I drug my dad's 12' rowboat over to the black RR bridge (wasn't old enough to drive). We had two outboards a 5hp and a 8hp Johnson (just in case one crapped out). We were planning on going all the way to Nimbus. We had our poles, shotguns, food, extra everything. This was going to be an expedition.

We launched okey and made it to lower Paradise when I told my buddy to watch for rocks. WHAM! Hit a big rock and blew the side of the case off the motor. You could actually see the piston and crank shaft. Drifted down stream a bit, rowed to shore and put the other motor on.

Okey, we're off again going upstream, a real Lewis & Clark determination (just stupid kids) and damn if we didn't hit another rock and blew the prop and sheer pin. :(

Well, the rest of the day was spent drifting and rowing back down stream and trying to get the boat back home but that's another whole story and adventure. Remember, we're 15 and on foot :lol:

So, I guess you could say I've learned that river pretty well, and all I can advise is "Proceed with Caution" when you're getting up around Paradise.

TONY

Darian
07-29-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with Tony on this one.... 8) 8) There're a bunch of prop killing shallow spots all along the river. Not to mention the speed limitations.

In order to fish the American from a boat/outboard combo, you should familiarize yourself with available launch points and divide the river into sections near those points. Given the size of your boat/motor, you shouldn't have any problems launching.

For example, launching at Discovery allows you to fish from the mouth up to "Last Chance" riffle below Paradise Beach. Launching at Howe Avenue would allow you to fish below the ramp from the "H" Street bridge up to Watt Avenue and so on up the river.... A good map of the American River will give you the chance to scout out launch points, fishin' spots, etc., and make some notes. 8) 8) 8)

Current flows in the American are high and not conducive to using low HP outboards against those flows.... Until the flows are reduced, I'd pick my spots for launching/fishing accordingly. :) :) :)

HUMMDINGER
07-31-2006, 04:12 AM
hey thanks for all the great help on the prop issue hoping to get out here soon will let you all know how i do

10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
This is a late response, but maybe it will help someone?

I run that river occasionally, and there is no problems until arriving at the black railroad bridge near the I-80 overpass. Don’t keep going straight after passing under the black railroad bridge! Make the S curve over to the south bank and follow the south bank all the way up river (about 1/4 mile) to the small tree stump sticking out of the water. After passing the small tree trunk cut over left to the center of the river and it will be a straight forward run up to the bottom of the first riffle. Run the riffle on the south side watching out for a few snags.

During this time of the year there is usually guys fishing beads at the first riffle, so I don’t run the boat past them. If no one is fishing I continue on to Paradise Beach Riffle and beach my sled on the north bank of the island. The deep water between the island and north back is along the north bank shore. The run to Paradise has quite a few shallow sandy places, but it's doable. Memorize the river on the way up, becasue that is the easy direction. On the way down stream with the current behind you it will be more difficult to control the boat.

Richard