PDA

View Full Version : Current Rubicon conditions??

Hewie
07-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I did some exploring at the 3400ft elevation with my kids (4&6yrs) a couple of weeks back and thought this was a georgeous little stream. (Thanks for the hints everyone). I'm going to head up Sunday to fish the area. Does anyone know if water temps, flows, and bugs have held on through the hot spell? I'm really excited but afraid I may have missed the window.
Thanks,
Dave

Rob
07-27-2006, 04:06 PM
You might take the temperature of the water when you get there. You are having record temps that have never seen and I lived in Calif for 39 years. The water has alway been very cold in years past. My boys and I have fished the Rubicon from opener until it closed and always did well. On cold mornings we would wait until the sun hit the water. The last time we fished the Rubicon we used a yellow stimulator # 16 and a pheasant tail bead heat flashback # 18 as a dropper 25'' below and did very well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20Fishing%20Calififornia/DSCN1376.jpg

Ed Wahl
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
You probably missed the hot golden stone time on the river but there's always a lot of caddis around. The fish will probably have their heads tucked right up under the whitewater of the small plunge falls. Good thing there's lots of falls on that stream. Hey Rob, I know that spot in your pic, my first ever fly caught trout came from that stretch, nice campsites right there too.

Hewie
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Had a great day on the Rubicon yesterday from ~8am - noon. Fish were hitting tan Humpys and EH Caddis, size 12-14. Picked up fish in the pools as well as right in the whitewater of the falls. No takes on either a #16 bh prince or fb pheasant tail dropper tied off the bend of the Humpy about 24" back. The rocks were absolutely covered with Golden Stone casings. I sure would like to witness that hatch some day!

Does this river have an October Caddis hatch? I can't wait till this fall: I'll drop my 4yr old off at preschool in Rescue and be on the river by 9:00.

Next trip I'm going to venture further up or downsteam. If I hike to the confluence of the South Fork Rubicon, is the river wade-able all the way down to the bridge?

Thanks for the info,
Dave

Ed Wahl
08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Oh Yeah Baby, the Rubicon has a great October Caddis hatch. Anytime mid September thru the season closure in Nov. They go nuts for big orange dries. The two best times of the year on the Rube are in June and in October.