PDA

View Full Version : Report 7.25.06

Jgoding
07-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Well I finally caught a keeper and a beauty of a fish it turned out to be. Of course I forgot my camera.........

But I taped it at 28" and it weighed about 7-8lbs and was a bright clean fish. Took about 5 minutes to land with the 8wt. I was kind of disapointed in the grab, barely felt it but when I set the hook there was no doubt it was a nice fish....

I'm addicted now.... I guess 30"+ is my next goal...

Jeff

David Lee
07-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Good job Jeff !!!!

Putting the time in on the water helps a little ...... yes ??

David =D>

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Give us a "blow by blow" description. :D

Jgoding
07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Hey David,

You free Sunday Evening??

It was a tough fight Bill, the fish made it into a current seam about 2 minutes in and after I turned it back towards me and got it into some calmer waters it started running. It was a brute to pull up and I didn't even get a glimpse till the end. Just glad I had my 8wt and 2X tippet on at the time.

Jeff

Katz
07-27-2006, 04:50 PM
The thing that keeps me going back is that they get WAY bigger than that one :twisted: :evil:

Kraig

lee s.
07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Your enthusiasm is grand! Love your reports. \:D/
....lee s.

Adam Grace
07-28-2006, 03:13 AM
Congratulations Jeff! That sounds like a nice striper.

Jgoding
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the support guys. Hey Kraig, that's so true and pretty scary at the same time... I wouldn't mind catching a bigger one, but if it wanted to swim at me and beach itself at my feet after I hooked up so I could get a nice pic and easy release I wouldn't have any problems with that...LOL

I don't really care for fighting fish so much... I mean I do get down when I drop a fish but I'm more in it for the hunt and the challenge of getting bit... but getting the fish to hand so it can be admired and released does rank pretty high on the satisfaction list... I just hope to remember to bring the camera next time.

Jeff

Tony Buzolich
07-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Jeff,
Sounds like you really had fun with that fish. You mentioned you had your #8 weight and "2X" tippet. If I'm correct, or even close, 2x only has a breaking strength of around 7-8lbs. test.

Were you actually targeting stripers with that light of a line? Great job if you were.
TONY

Jgoding
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey Tony,

I start my leaders with 20lbs I think but I use the Orvis Super strong for the end of the tippet and I think it was 2X cuz I only have 2,3,4 X...... and it says its rated at 11.5lbs or 11.0lbs...11.something.... LOL. I think that's plenty strong for stripe but you would know better than I would... should I step it up a little bit?? Even when I throw conventional gear for bass or cats... I don't go over 10lbs....

I put a lot of pressure on the fish during the fight but in no way did I try to horse him in. I let it run when it wanted to and I put just enough pressure on to give a medium load on the rod and basically just increased the pressure slightly when the fish tried to rest.