PDA

View Full Version : How do

Jay Murakoshi
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
you copy a file folder in documents, to a website.
Well today, I got my computer back from the cyber doctor. I guess they saved some of the files but some are floating in cyber space. They made a folder with my name on it that has all my "Favorites".
The question:

How do I copy that folder to my Favorites, so I don't have to input 150 files. I assuming they copy the OS which is suppose to be Windows XP Professional but I can't seem to find any of the files, like Power point, microsoft word, excel, etc.

I did purchase a 250GB hard drive along with a 80GB external hard drive.
But my problem now is I don't have any of my programs like Front Page, Quicken business, Adobe Photo Shop, etc. I guess I have to download them again. Hopefully I can find my Front Page disk.
What are some of the other website programs that an idiot can follow and make it easy. I think the heat has shrunk my brain like a raisin

Thanks

Jay

Jgoding
07-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Don't worry Jay, we all love computers...

All those programs you mentioned will need to be installed even if they were still there and you just had to recover Windows, I think you'd still have to reinstall them for Windows to properly recognize them. I went through this awhile back with my first comp.... hard drive went bad twice... I didn't lose anything, but I had to reinstall Windows to recover the OS and then reinstall all my programs on top of that to run everything again. Excel, powerpoint, Word, are all office programs so you will have to reinstall MS Office.

If you're referring to your "favorites" as in Website favorites for explorer it shouldn't be too hard to copy that into the right folder. Good luck with everything and hopefully this hard drive fairs better... I know your pain...

Jeff

BillPu
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Jay,

What Jeff stated is what has to be done. When they reinstalled the OS, it requires reinstallation of all of your programs including MS Office.

As for your "Favorites", are you talking about the different websites in Windows Explorer? If so you would have to copy the "Favorites" folder from whatever was recovered from your original hard drive. The folder is located in Windows Explorer - My Computer - Local Drive "C" - Documents and Settings - (your username) - Favorites. Just copy and paste into your "username" folder in your current system so that it overwrites the new Favorites folder. If the computer guys were not able to recover this folder than you would have to recreate it by going to all of the websites and adding to your new Favorite folder. I had a lot of issues with users that thought this should have been automatically backed up on our corporate back up servers but unfortunately it was not the case.

On your new backup schedule, you would want to add this folder as well.

Good luck.

Bill

Jay Murakoshi
07-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the help. Somehow as I sat here messing with the keyboard, copying and pasting I managed to get my favorites onto the new OS.
I did lose a bunch of files, such as my invoices but I have hard copies to for backup.
I just downloaded my copy of Windows Professional so now I have Power Point and the other programs.

Now I'm sitting here trying to figure out the external hard drive I guess you bring up the program, click and drag from the file you want to save over to the external hard drive

Oh well, thanks to everyone who helped me out

Jay

BillPu
07-29-2006, 02:00 AM
Hey Jay, just be careful not to use the "click and drag" unless you want to delete the files from the original location. Use "copy and paste instead. Just right click and use the "copy" function then right click and "paste" onto the location you want.

I had one remote user escalate a trouble ticket to my desk when my techs couldn't figure out why her porgrams weren't working. It turned out that she had had "moved her Program folders to the corporate servers since they were "files she didn't need to use on a daily basis". :lol: