PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum

Sacto John
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I have been lurking around here for awhile now and wanted to post. I am an avid bass fisherman who has not fished with a fly rod in years. I am wanting to get a fly rod for bass and was hoping to get some advise from you guys for a good inexpensive ($100.00 or so) setup. I will be using this rod for bass and stripers as I fish the Delta all the time both from my boat and my kick boat. Also I would appreciated some tips on what poppers and flies I should buy, remember I am a newbie and basically clueless when it comes to flies and fly fishing. Thanks in advance.

David Lee
07-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Welcome John !!

Under $100.00 ??

Albright Yellowstone 9 foot 8 wt. =$40.00

1495 Medalist (used ...) =$20.00

Cortland 333 Bass taper , #8 =$35.00

20 lb. backing = $10.00

Trilene Big Game spools , 25 and 15 lb. = $15.00

$120.00 bucks is just about as cheap as it gets in the fly department . I own a rig almost the same .... and it works .

David

Hairstacker
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey John, welcome!!

As far as flies for the Delta:

Largemouth Bass -- For topwater, it would be hard to go wrong with size 2 Dahlberg Divers, which are very popular and arguably one of the very most effective topwater bass flies used out there. I happen to be a big fan of size 2 deerhair poppers as well (the classic red/white Tap's Bug in particular). For subsurface, you would never catch me out there without size 1/0 chartreuse/white Clouser Deep Minnows when the topwater bite just isn't happening.

Stripers -- I'd again go with the size 1/0 chartreuse/white Clouser Deep Minnows. Whistlers in the 1/0 to 2/0 size range are also popular out there for stripers.

Good luck!! Beware, get into a good topwater bass bite with your new fly rod and you just may become permanently addicted to it. :lol:

Richard
07-27-2006, 12:47 AM
David and Mike have given you some good advice. However, as much as I don't want to contradict David I would suggest a 10 wt line rather than an 8 wt. Both for the large bugs you will be casting and the possibility of wind the 10 wt line gives you a better chance of a decent cast.

Also, I suggest that you use a 15 to 20 pound leader from six to eight feet in length. No reason to have a tapered leader. Avoid limp leader material, an error I was making until KD set me straight. :oops: Also, tie on the bugs with a no slip loop knot, it will produce better action on the bug.

Once you get really hooked and are willing to lay out a little more money you might want to look at a saltwater line. I am using a SA Ultra 4 saltwater, but I don't guarantee that is the best choice.

Finally, I suggest that you try and make a date to go out with someone who is already into this as it helps to get pointers when you are getting started. There might well be someone on this forum who is close to you who would be glad to have an excuse to get out on the water.

Sacto John
07-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all your help. I have one more question, where would I be able to find a used reel as mentioned in the post above?

I know how addicting top-water fishing for bass can be, it is one of my favorite ways to fish. I would also like to say I will gladly take anyone out in my boat who is willing to give me some pointers on fly fishing the Delta. I have been bass fishing the Delta for 15 years now so I know it pretty well.

I have not fished for bass with a fly rod since I was in high school, and I do not know how different the approach is from conventional bass fishing, but that is why I am here. I am looking forward to the challenge of learning something new.

Darian
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
I sounds like you have a solid background in Bass fishin', already. 8) 8) All that's left is equipment choices and locations to fish.

I must, respectfully, disagree with your statement about the differing approaches. I'd say that fly fishing for Bass isn't much different than gear fishing for bass. The problem's are the same. Locate feeding fish and deliver a bait where they are. The delivery system is the difference. 8) 8) 8) As you've said, you already have some idea how to cast with a fly rod. All you really need in the fishing arena is casting lessons and maybe a guided trip with a guide like Kevin Doran; your choice.

Acquiring the equipment can be as simple as going to the local fly shop with a buddy or taking a chance on acquiring used equipment. :? :? Some quality, used equipment can be purchased from folks right here on this BB under the topic: Classifieds. You might have to advertise that you're in the market for a reel.... Some shops, like Kiene's, have used reels for sale on consignment. 8) If you have the patience, you'll get what you want that way. 8) 8)

Personally, If I'm acquiring equipment as a newbie, I wouldn't buy much of the basic system (rod, reel, line, etc.) used. There're some very good beginning outfit packages that include the basics for a reasonable price. If you're not feeing like going in that direction, get some demo casting in at a shop, then buy. 8) 8)

Good luck and tight lines. :D :D

Richard
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM
My opinion only. The reel is NOT an important issue when fishing for largemouth bass. VERY different from fishing for stripers where the reel IS a big issue. All you need from a reel for largemouth is something to hold the line. I doubt you will ever go to the reel fishing for largemouth. The Medalist is a perfectly good reel for largemouth. Get the cheapest reel you can find that will hold a 10 wt line comfortably. A large arbor reel is best as it reduces kinks in the line if you leave the line on the reel.

It's the ROD and the line that count. Try out the rod before buying it with the kind of fly you intend to use, such as a Dahlberg Diver. When you find the rod that works for you get that one. Go to Kiene's and let them show you what they have in your price range and try them out. If you buy a rod without testing it you could end up being very frustrated as it might not fit your casting style.

Also, casting for bass is NOT like casting for trout. What is correct for trout, basicly an overhand cast with no wrist. Is NOT the cast to use for bass where the sidearm or even much better the underhand cast with a lot of wrist is preferred. I can't do this cast, but I have seen KD do it and WOW :eek: is it the cast to learn and use!!!

Hairstacker
07-28-2006, 12:58 PM
John, I think it might help to clarify Richard's suggestion to use a 10 wt. fly line. I don't believe he is suggesting you, say, go to a fly shop and ask to see a selection of rods that carry 10 wt. lines. If you do that, you may end up with a 10 wt. rod, which I believe is real overkill for largemouth bass, take a lot of the fun out of it, and would be tiring to use.

Rather, I believe Richard is suggesting that you buy, say, an 8 wt. rod and over-line it with a 10 wt. line. In other words, put heavier line on the rod than it is designated for. The primary arguments for this, as Richard noted, is that the heavier line will more easily handle the bigger bugs typically used for bass fishing and the wind you often encounter in the Delta.

Also, please consider my view that many rods in the 8 wt. range can easily handle that degree of overlining for the casting distances involved here but some with soft actions may not be pleasant to cast with that degree of overlining. It really comes down to the rod and your casting style. Many of the faster action rods can be overlined by 3 line weights with no problem for the short to moderate distances cast for largemouth bass. (For example, I believe KD prefers a 10 wt. line on his 7 wt. Sage XP.) I happen to own one 8 wt. rod, though, that has a relatively soft tip and slower action that just wouldn't be enjoyable for me to cast if I were to overline it by 2 line weights. (I've experienced the tip on this particular rod collapsing on a relatively longer cast when overlined by 1 line weight) For this particular rod, I actually prefer not to overline it at all, as it loads quite well at short and moderate distances with its rated line wt. It boils down to an assessment of the particular rod you end up with. Right now, I'm primarily using a moderately fast 7 wt. rod (slower than a Sage XP) that I overline with an 8 wt. bass bug taper line and, for my "hammer-a-nail-in-the-wall-to-hang-a-picture" casting style, it feels just about right. Anyway, just wanted to add some hopefully clarifying comments.

Sacto John
07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks again for all the help. I am having a hard time digesting all of this information but I think I get it. I will have to get into a fly shop and play around a bit with the rods or take one of you guys out that is if you would let a newbie try one of your rods. This is what I wanted; to learn more about bass fishing from a different perspective. I have aquired so much information on traditional bass fishing through time and experience that I want to apply to fly fishing. Again this site ROCKS! thanks guys