PDA

View Full Version : equipment suggestions?

bkobrin
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
I just discovered this fine sport a year ago and am ready to start tying my own flies. As sastisfying as it is to land a trout, I could only imagine the experience would be even better doing it on a fly that I created! Can anyone suggest a way to get started? Are the fly tying kits that one can get from Cabellas a good way to begin, or should I go piece by piece? Thanks in advance for any advice!

BigBuddha
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Start with a good book and DVD. One thing about a kit, is that is gives you a little of a lot of materials. The quality of the equipment isn't something that you will probably notice in the beginning, but you can upgrade as you go. Give some thought as to how you want to set your tying area up like a desk or table, and the storage area you will need. It's been a very long time, so I am not familiar with the kits that are available. You are not too far so come up to Kiene's and let them help you. The staff there are really great guys, and it is a lot of fun just looking around at everything. They have a great selection of books and video material for tying as well.

Adam Grace
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I suggest going peice by peice. Kit tools are usually lees than par....but they are less expensive. If you are serous about fly tying go peice by peice. Buy a nice pair of GOOD scissors, they are very important. I love my Dr.Slick tungsten Carbide scissors! You should also buy a bobbin, whip finishing tool, bodkin, hackle pliers and possibly a hair stacker.

Buy a good vise..not that cheap one that comes in the kit. Good vises hold the hook more securely and reduce hook slippage.

Then just accumulate materials that you need for the flies that you know you will tie. The kits give you materials that will just sit around and take up space. Kit are nice gifts but if you are going to buy one for yourself talk to a fly shop employee about what YOU really need.

Finally, take a fly tying class or two. Hands on learning and observing can speed up your learning and teach you some very important teachniques that will reduce frustration later on.

Happy tying.

Matt Frey
07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I totally agree with Adam. I would steer clear of the kits and buy things separately. But the best advice that he gave is to take a class. I couldnt agree more. There is no way I could have figured out a whip finish without someone showing me, but now its second nature. I think Kiene's offers classes. Have fun!

Hairstacker
07-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I completely agree with Adam to go the piece-by-piece route. Most experienced tyers use quality vises that aren't even featured in any fly tying kits, and a number of these vises are relatively moderately priced and are offered with lifetime warranties. With a little careful shopping, you will end up with a far better vise and much better tools, which will only enhance your learning and fly tying pleasure.

Some tools you can get away with on the cheap -- whip finisher, bodkin, hair stacker. But Adam's right, get the best scissors you can afford. I also recommend spending just a tad bit more and getting a ceramic-tipped bobbin.

Good books can REALLY help. For a new tier, I recommend the following:

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple -- Skip Morris
The Art of Fly Tying -- John Vliet
Essential Trout Flies -- Dave Hughes

Armed with these, you can teach yourself how to tie, although hands-on instruction by an experienced tyer is invaluable and may shorten the learning curve. I taught myself out of books and am quite pleased with the instruction I received that way but, to this day, I still pick up valuable hints and tips on better ways of doing things when I watch other tyers. Good luck and keep posting questions as they arise, as I'm sure others have similar questions.

Darian
07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
All of the prior recommendations are good for a beginner. However, I would change the timing of your purchases and get good class, before going to a store to buy any equipment or materials. Fly tying classes are available from some local Junior Colleges, local fly fishing clubs as well as shops. If you have a friend that ties, maybe that person would consent to giving you the opportunity to use the equipment to tie a few basic flies to get an idea what you might like.... 8) 8)

Believe me, if you get addicted to this, you will spend a lot of money on "stuff" that you won't use more than incidentally over the rest of your life. (even tho you thought you might need it once when you bought it :roll: :roll: )

That being the case, don't spend your money before finding out what you're getting into. 8) 8)

jbird
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I would take a different angle than these other posts. I do like the idea of a kit for a starter. I started tying from a starter kit some 20 years ago. I still have that vise and travel with it sometimes. It will get you tying quickly with minimal expence. If you dont want to drop the doe for a class, most flyshops will sit down and tie a fly with you. And a tape or DVD is a great avenue. All flies are tied with the same basic priciples. Once you get good at one nymph one dry and one streamer, you should be able to tie most any fly from a simple picture and recipe.
When I got into flyfishing, I was living off cup-o-noodles and loose change. I know the price of flyfishing can be daunting. Thats why I suggest this route. If money is not an issue, then start with the renzetti and the series of classes and stock your library with books. If not, keep it simple, you'll acomplish the same goal.

Jay

PaulC
07-25-2006, 11:10 PM
I started using a dry fly kit and Kaufmann's tying dryflies book.
Pretty easy patterns progressing in level of difficulty.
Problem with any starter kit is you get alot of material you'll never use.
I'd pick up a book like the Kaufmann's book targeted towards beginners and pick a few of the patterns you'd fish.
Order the materials for those and buy more if you enjoy it.
Vice wise, I would get something that is cheap and portable. If you get way into you'll end up buying a bigger more expensive vise. However, you can still use the portable one for tying streamside or in a different country.
Renzetti traveller or a dyna king voyager would be great to start on and last you for years.
-Paul