PDA

View Full Version : How Many

Jay Murakoshi
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
of you back up your files on the computer? The reason I ask is because prior going to baja 13 days ago, I was having a computer problem - remember. Well, I took it into the Geek Squad and they tried working on pulling out the files or copying the files but something is wrong. Soooooooo, now I have to take it to the computer doctor, someone who can pull things off the hard drive file by file.
My biggest problem is, if they can't recover the files, everything is capute.
Like my website files, invoices (but I have hard copies), power point files, etc... Now I'm looking to redesign my website entirely, but the guy who was helping me is way to busy. I did have a Front Page file on the desk top but

Question: What do you save your files too, CD's, External hard drives or some other device :(

Jay

Matt Frey
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I burn my stuff to DVDs. They hold a lot more than CDs. I used to use an external hard drive but then it crashed. I know that computer issues can drive one crazy. Good luck.

Darian
07-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Jay,.... Back-up to an external drive or other media (CD, etc.) is what I do.

I've heard/been told that as operating systems advance/change they become incompatible with earlier versions and the storage media used with those versions. If that happens, the information stored may be unusable until moved to a compatible one. Fortunately, there're always friends that have later/newer computers and companies out there that specialize in making those updates.

Ain't computers grand :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuzz
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Jay,
File protection and preservation is a big deal for professional photographers. I've got a pro photog friend who uses an iMac with 3 250GB LaCie porsche external drives and he has them set up to automatically back up each night with a double backup. They seem to work great for him. Regarding CD's and DVD's, there are special ones made for archival purposes. Quoting from an article in Shutterbug magazine, "Typical CD and DVD recordable media have a short life, of 2 - 15 years, according to one industry source.... The silver reflective layer eventually tarnishes through exposure to light, oxygen, heat, humidity, and rough handling." The archival CD/DVD's use a 24 karat gold reflective layer that does not oxidize or tarnish. They also use more stable dyes and tougher scratch-resistant layers. Two choices of these would be the Kodak Preservation CD-R and DVD-R and Delkin Archival Gold CD-R and DVD-R. Delkin has "The 100 Year Disc" printed right on it. If I had valuable business files to preserve I would look at these two options or maybe do both if the files are irreplaceable. One catalog I have has eFilm Archival Gold CD and DVD and the cost per 25 is $39.99 for CD's and $79.95 for DVD's. Hope this helps!

Fuzz

Jay Murakoshi
07-26-2006, 10:17 PM
just got my computer back from the cyber doctor. Damn, it cost just as much or more as a real doctor visit. The hard drive did take a dump.
Some files were saved and some are floating in never, never land.
I purchased a 250GB hard drive and purchase a 150GB (or something like that) external hard drive. I guess I'll start backing up files, if I have time. This guy started explaining to me what possibly happened but I must of had the "STUPID :? look because he asked me if I understood what he just said

Oh well, I'll stick to fishing

Jay