PDA

View Full Version : Black Bass time in the Delta

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Most of this is KD's info:

He likes May the best for some serious top water bass fishing. I think you get a longer day of fishing and are more comfortable too.

I think it can be good from April through October though.

I guess April can be good if we have a warm spring.

June is probably pretty good too but it is starting to get a little warmer then.

I would say that July through early September would be OK for a few hours in the AM and PM but generally not enough hours of fishing to be worth while. Plus the heat is tough on you.

October is another nice time period where the fishing is longer and more comfortable.

I guess the early and late time of day with lower light levels is good for top water but the other factor is the tides. I know that a moving tide is good but I have a lot to learn here.

Another tip is that KD does not generally like to guide on the weekends. There are too many other people out there then but if thats when you can go, I would.

Even though some of us got to go out for a short seminar with KD I would advise you to hire him for a serious fishing trip in May or October so you can see more of the terrain that he fishes.

After Andy and I went out with KD we got the "bug" now; the "bass bug".

When I heard about KD guiding black bass in the Delta I did not know he was 100% top water. It is so cool..........

mikenewman
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Bill
I'ts certainly true that Summer am/pm is easier fishing and easier on the fisherman - especially after our experience on Saturday. However, during more normal summer temps I'm sure there are good fish to be had through the day, especially under KD's guidance. Some of the most successful tournament guys fish topwater exclusively through the Summer. And don't forget there's always "Rattin' the mats" in the heat of the day :D
Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Your right Mike

KD said they caught fish on top till 1:00pm on Friday. I think it helps if you are doing more things right than wrong.

I am always looking for the advantages for that person who is getting started so getting everything in our favor is important.

I guess KD with clients and Carlo Proto in another boat last week on that overcast day had some of their best top water ever. That was mid-July.

I guess we need to watch that 10 day weather forecast looking for a cooling period (below 90) in the mid-summer.

Hairstacker
07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I like to get out there in the morning but, like Mike said, if the weather's at least barely tolerable, I always fish it past noon-time, even if the bite's been very slow. I've had it bust wide open too many times at 1:00 - 2:00 in the afternoon after a dismally dead morning. I've particularly noticed this happening when the water really starts moving after a period of slack water. Although I haven't got the tide thing all figured out, I conclusively believe those fish are as influenced by tidal activity as any other factor.

I particularly like the late September/early October period. If you look at some of the reports I posted last year during that time, you can't help but notice how aggressive some of the bass were on top.

I believe they're more aggressive at that time of year than any other, which makes for some pretty exciting topwater action. Encouraged by Richard's example, I successfully employed a VERY fast retrieve with a topwater deerhair bass bug (Tap's Bug) last fall and literally had bass chase it down.

Not to mention, you stand a very good chance of seeing stripers busting balls of shad on top and catching one of 'em on a topwater bass bug. 8) 8) 8)

lee s.
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
We are looking foward to a trip with KD this Sat. Yes......go WHEN you can. :-({|=
This is some of the wildlife KD showed us on our trip last year. :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG1117.jpg
The master really enjoys his "work". :cool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG1114.jpg

A GRAND skipper that KD. \:D/
.....lee s.

KD
07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Bill, let me jump in here and maybe clarify some things for those looking for direction. I'll try to do this without writing a book.:-)

I want to add, this is likely not what you will hear from a conventional bass angler as I believe we have a distinct advantage and different approach when targeting topwater fish using our fly gear. I won't go into that here...I'll save that for the book:-)

Here is my perspective on the Delta topwater largemouth season:

Mid April is when I first start targeting topwater largemouth bass. I look for warm afternoons and stable weather patterns. This is when an angler has the best opportunity as the water temps are warmer. Once the surface temps have reached 60-62* i'm able to find consistent topwater fish. This continues on through Sept. and early Oct. at which time my focus shifts to striped bass. I should say most of my clients' focus is towards stripers.

Topwater fish can come to the fly at any time of the day and as Hairstacker and Mike Newman have pointed out, often mid-day. I have seen this countless times. I consider the slowest time of the day to be around 2-5pm this a general guidline as many things can factor into the equation.

The biggest spawning push is around the end of April. Fish spawn earlier and later but this is the time good numbers of fish are on the beds. This means that depending on where you are fishing you could be fishing for pre-spawn and post-spawn fish. In other words I find there are always topwater fish available during this time and throughout the season.

Late May and June is mostly post-spawn time and, again, depending on where you are fishing, topwater fish are available. Basically from mid April through Oct provides consistent topwater action. Some days, "off the charts"!. When the temps have been elevated(not extreme- as this week) the morning bite can be stronger than the afternoon. Again, fish can be had anytime of the day depending on whether the angler wants to pursue them all day, but there are prime times and that is why i run morning and evening trips as well as full days. We catch some of our largest fish in the early morning hours when the air temps have been up for a number of days. The afternoon bite window becomes shorter as the air temps get hotter. The afternoon bite is fairly predictable day in day out. I do not think one month is necessarily better than another. It depends on a lot of things. The Delta is a graduate course in bass fishing imo. Delta topwater bass are a worthwhile pursuit all summer long.

As we enter the Fall season the food sources available to the bass,some of which live above the water:-) become less in-focus for the bass. Most ff'rs targeting Stripers often catch some nice largemouth and sometimes good numbers of them as incidental catches. This is in part because of the change in the bass's food items as good numbers of bass are now travelling outside of weedlines looking for baitfish. The bug life is diminishing as well as the availability of amphibians,etc. This shows a declining trend in topwater action as we near the end of Oct. It also may show an increased trend in topwater action for the flyfisher outside of weedlines.

The Delta topwater largemouth game is alive and well all season, Apr-Oct. I wouldn't be guiding Delta largemouth if the season was only a couple of months long. It is in fact for the flyfisher, a 6 month long season and that is why i refer to it as the "other" Delta season.

I am excited that Delta topwater largemouth bass is finally coming into focus for some. Some days are better than others as in any fishery but it is certainly a game that is worthwhile playing...all summer.

If you care to learn more about my approach to Delta largemouth some good information is available in a back issue of Ca FF'r(April 2001) in an article I wrote titled "Delta Bass Tactics". There is some good stuff in there about habitat and other things.

Thank You

KD