PDA

View Full Version : talk about the OPPOSITE of fly shops closing!!

jeremy1
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Saw this on another board:

WOW!! 4 fly shops in Sacramento 7/24/06 3:50 p.m.
A Orvis store is opening in Roseville. Wonder if the area can handle 4 fly shops!! 5 if you count the shop in Auborn

www.sacbee.com/content/community_news/roseville/story/14271273p-15081927c.html

Kind of Stupid if you ask me. They should put one in Red Bluff or Anderson which have zero fly fishing stores, and only one store (in Redding)

Tony Buzolich
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Without having to fill out a whole bunch of stuff to subscribe to the Saramento Bee, how do we get the story?

Apparantly Orivis is opening a store in Roseville. Anybody care to fill in a few details as to where and when?

Thanks Ahead Guys, TONY

Digger
07-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Better yet, a Cabela's near Reno

Darian
07-25-2006, 03:10 AM
Jeremy,.... Perhaps you should consider that Orvis is a company that's been around quite a while and probably does some market studies before locating a store near it's targeted demographic. 8) 8) Frankly, I don't see Anderson or redding being on their radar (given that Orvis is much more than a fly fishing supplier). 8) 8) 8) Competiton from the shops in Redding and along the Trinity River would, also, be a consideration for locating in the Anderson or Redding area.

Also, I think you might've underestimated the market in this area and for sure, the number of shops/stores handling fly fishing merchandise from all brands. In addition to the four Sacramento stores and the Auburn store you included, there're stores in Nevada City, Yuba City, Dixon not to mention all of the hardware stores in the foothills that have some fly fishing supplies.... With the growing population, especially in the Roseville area, another shop probably won't make a dent in any of the other, existing shops business. :D :D :D

2short
07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Darian,
where is the fly shop at in Yuba?

Hewie
07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
And for the closet gear slingers, don't forget about Bass Pro Shops possibly coming to Sacramento:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?appID=94&storeID=62
99% of my business goes to Bill's, due to the staff, though, and I'd be willing to bet that won't change.
Dave

Darian
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't think Bill will mind my mentioning that Johnson's Bait/Tackle in Yuba City has a fly fishing department. They are located on Garden Hwy. Tony Buzolich is the department manager, resident guide and all around great guy.

Actually, the twp shops have co-existed for some time and I think Bill might agree that neither impacts the others business negatively. 8) 8) Drop in and give 'im the business. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gregg
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
From what I have heard, the Orvis store is going in at the Galleria Blvd. / Roseville Parkway intersection across from the mall and BJ's Brewery. I'm actually shocked that there hasn't been a shop in Roseville yet, as the demographics show suprising promise... Most of the local stores don't carry much Orvis so I can see Orvis' desire to provide an outlet where consumers can see the scope of their product line. In a wierd way, it may actually drive business upward for other fly shops in the area as consumers become more aware of both the sport and what Orvis has to offer. Most likely the shoppers who frequent the established stores will visit the Orvis location, but continue to buy from Kiene's, FSS, Johnson's, etc... I've told Bill about this before, but the Fly Fishing retail industry is extremely difficult to get into compared to other businesses. The vendors do a good job of protecting their dealers territories almost to the point of dampening their own brand growth. I manage a group of local skate/snowboard stores and in the Roseville area alone there are 18 competitors who carry the same product lines, 7 of them are within a 3 mile radius (talk about over distribution)... I don't necessarily see the Orvis store as a threat (aside from flies and tippet), but it wouldn't hurt the established shops to have some sort of competitive strategy to deal with the new store.

AndreD
07-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Actually there is flyshop now in Red Bluff and its carries the Orvis Brand on Antelope Blvd (Hwy 36/99) called Eagle Creek. I have not been there yet.

Andre

AndreD
07-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Actually there is flyshop now in Red Bluff and its carries the Orvis Brand on Antelope Blvd (Hwy 36/99) called Eagle Creek. I have not been there yet.

Andre

Dustin Revel
07-29-2006, 12:58 AM
I am an orvis sponsered caster along with my brother. I will get more details on the orvis store in sac. the eagle creek store is a nice store. they carry bows and hunting gear as well. the store has a very nice selection of orvis flyfishing products, but no where near the selection the corprate store will have. They throw a pretty descent grand opening so when the time comes I would definatly plan to go. I got to teach carly simons and james taylors daughter how to flycast at the reno store opening. I also played with some cheetas that was also pretty awesome.
George Revel

Mike O
08-23-2006, 04:44 PM
or as i like to call it, Cabelas Lite. opens december 2 in rocklin

Tracy Chimenti
08-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I think you'll find that this Orvis shop will mainly be a supplier of high-end clothing with rods and reels and flies the sideline-- kind of a place for us boys to hang out while the wives go to battle in the anchor stores. I used to have friend who'd see a guy getting out of his RangeRover with all the fancy clothes. "Another Orvisite! Let's get out of hear," he'd say.

Now as for Tony, everyone knows he's really pushing sardines and pile worms, not fancy fly gear! Nobody using flies could catch that many fish! :)

Matt Frey
08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I wouldnt get too excited about the Orvis store. We joke around here that Orvis is simply a clothing shore. The space devoted to clothing is well over 75% of the store. The store here in SF has the worst selection of flies (always out), and the employees do not even fish. So they have absolutely no advice. They used to have a very knowledgable person working there and now he is gone. I only go there for leader and tippet. I am not trying to bash Orvis. I am simply stating my observation.

Tony Buzolich
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Tracy,
I love it. Maybe I could get on part time at Orvis and show the local Orvisites how to thread a pile worn on instead of a San Juan Worm?

Some of what you guys say is true about not knowing much concerning fly fishing. My daughter gave me a gift certificate there for Christmas and I couldn't wait to go see what they had at the SF store. Beautiful store and nice displays but no one seemed to know much of anything about fly fishing. Ended up getting one of the Orvisite shirts.

I called back another time and asked about spooling a Orvis Vortex13/14 for an upcoming sailfish trip. I got passed around several times and ended up talking with a store in Boston that uses this reel for Bluefin.

What I'm saying is, no matter where you go, good people are hard to find.

Its time to get out there if you're thinking about salmon,

TONY

MrBig
07-25-2007, 04:47 AM
There is an Orvis dealer (not co. store) in Red Bluff and in Dunsmuir (as far as near Redding goes) and the City Of Anderson just approved a Cabela's superstore believe it or not, along with a bunch of other stores like Target, Home Depot, etc.

Adam Grace
07-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Is the Red Bulff store still open? or did it simply change hands? Is no longer an Orvis dealer, not Company store?

dtp916
07-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I was told today that the Auburn shop went belly up..... :?:

Matt Steffens
07-28-2007, 12:54 AM
The Roseville/Rocklin area does have a pretty decent fly shop at Sportsmans Warehouse, with a couple pretty good fly guys I might add... :D

Dustin Revel
08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Kind of Stupid if you ask me. They should put one in Red Bluff or Anderson which have zero fly fishing stores, and only one store (in Redding)

actually there is an orvis dealer in red bluff its on antelope blvd right accross from the fair grounds. been open for over a year now.
Dusty

Ed Wahl
08-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Dang it Tony, I just got the urge to get up to the high country and now you bring up salmon. :? Seems like everything happens at once. ](*,) . Oh well, there's always next week. Weekend after that I'm 'packin waaay up for some itty bitty (but very special) trout. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
We are up 15% in sales this year to date from last year. That is huge in our business because many are not and some are closing due to the fact that they aren't staying up with the times or working very hard.

We were up 5% last year too.

"We fear no box store because they have no magic".

Actually there are a lots of people who prefer to shop in a good specialty store.

As long as the box stores 'don't or can't' discount the top products like Sage, Scott, Winston, Patagonia, Rio, Outcast and Simms they will never have anything on us.

They do have off brand tackle that we don't carry like Fenwick, St. Croix, Pflueger, Caddis and Hodgman which have not been in fly shops for a long time.

I have been to a Cabelas and the Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin. I have a bigger and better selection of fly fishing products than either of them.

They have sporting goods quality flies for 89 cents if you need some. We can buy those flies for $3.00/dozen too.

I believe "Buck a Bug" went under.

I've been doing this for 43 years and that gives me a great advantage.

REI had some fly fishing stuff but gave it up.

Why would you shop in a box store if you would pay the same price as in a fly shop? Unless you lived next door?

Maybe too much information?

Thanks to all our great supporters. We really appreciate your business.

Not everyone likes to shop in a specialty store/fly shop?

Tony Buzolich
08-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Bill,

Having a 10% increase in sales is incredible after being around for so long. Usually at the start-up things grow fast (if they're going to) but as a business grows it usually slows down or max's out.

So, for you to have that continued growth shows that you work and care about your business and your crew, and your customers.

Anyone can always beat someone else's prices like the box stores do, but, SERVICE is what brings customers back.

Congratulations Bill on building one of the finest fly shops around,

TONY

hookedupanglers
08-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Its true you can save a dollar here or a dollar there by searching around for the lowest price you can find. You can also go to your local fly shop and pay a fair price for your fishing gear. By going to a local fly shop you can pick up the priceless items like current fishing reports, tips and techniques, meet new friends / fishing buddy’s.

If it was just about saving money, I might go to the “Costco’s” of fishing stores, but instead I go to a place I know has everything I need and there is usually a familiar face that asks me if they can help me find anything.

The bottom line is we need local fly shops as much as they need us.

johnson wozniak
08-02-2007, 07:04 AM
I am an orvis sponsered caster along with my brother. I will get more details on the orvis store in sac. the eagle creek store is a nice store. they carry bows and hunting gear as well. the store has a very nice selection of orvis flyfishing products, but no where near the selection the corprate store will have. They throw a pretty descent grand opening so when the time comes I would definatly plan to go. I got to teach carly simons and james taylors daughter how to flycast at the reno store opening. I also played with some cheetas that was also pretty awesome.
George Revel

What is the story with the Red Bluff store wanting to sell>

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-02-2007, 07:24 AM
I think they need to move that store to a better location?

Nice looking shop but I don't think it gets much traffic up that way.

Matt Steffens
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Bill and All,

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with you about Sportsmans fishing department. I mean I do like it there, I actually happen to be the manager.

I have shoped your store many times, bought tons of Lines, tools and even casted on you casting analyzer (Near sage pro caster score I might add, :D ). You are right about you guys having magic. Every time I am greated with a smile and any helpfull advice I might be seeking. Thats somting to be proud of.

Too many times I walk into fly shops and am never even greated or asked if I need anything. Thats why the Kiene's fly shops and the Johnsons Baits shops will continue to grow and profit. Because you guys understand that thats what ultimatly brings returning customers, courtesy. :wink:

lots of people come into my shop and ask where our sage rods are and our mastery series lines, or our Waterworks reels. From there I give them really good advice. Directions to you guys.

All I am saying is that I have been flyfishing and fly tying for the better part of my years as well, not quite your amount of years, but someday. If a guy comes in to me asking how to tie John Barrs Slump buster I can walk him down our material aisle and get him the materials he needs. And if a guy wants a shad setup I wont sell him a 3wt with a teeny 400 and not know how to switch his reel from left to right handed.

every shop has its place, we might be the cortland 333's on the mastery series wall, but then again some people like the 333 :)

Dustin Revel
08-03-2007, 12:42 AM
What is the story with the Red Bluff store wanting to sell>[quote]

I work there and have never heard anything about selling or even changing locations from the owner, so i am going to assume nothing of that sort is being planned.
Dusty