PDA

View Full Version : N Fork American

2short
07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I recently made two trips to the NF American. The first was via Beacroft trail and the second on Mumford bar trail. The weather was superb down in the river canyon, it got to the 90's durring the day and into the mid 60's at night. Water temps felt about in the high 50's to low 60's. The fishing was great on both trips (a total of three days). The trout rose to just about any dry tossed on the water. They probably would have taken wets just as well but honestly I only go to wets if drys don't produce. The fish were beautifully colored and fought like only truly wild fish can. There was one interesting difference between the two trips one the first my fishing/hiking buddy was a 20 year old former cross-country runner, after hiking out on Beacroft trail (2.5 miles long, 3,240 ft el gain) we both admitted it was one of the hardest hikes either one of us had made. The hike out took 1hr and 40 min. I say this not to toot my own horn but to illistrate the nature of the trail. To futher illistrate, the second trip my hiking/fishing buddy was 26 and of an average fitness level. The hike was Mumford bar trail (2.5 miles long and 2800 ft gain) the hike out took 3hrs and 20min to complete with several mentions of "I think I'm going to die". The fishing is great on the N American but make sure to bring alot of water for the trip out and plenty of vitamin "M" (motrin). Also hiking poles are tremendously helpful both going down and especially going up.

Ed Wahl
07-24-2006, 12:06 AM
That area of the N. Fork is a genuine jewel. I think it's the climb out that keeps it that way. Ever fish lower down, around the Iowa Hill bridge for the smallies?

2short
07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Ed
No, I haven't had the pleasure. Exploring the NFA was a goal I set for this summer and I'm glad I achieved it. The NFA is my favorite river so far in Cali. Hopfully I'll get back there a few more times before the season ends. Have you any idea how low the water gets by the end of summer?