PDA

View Full Version : The fishing was HOT today at Sandmound

Richard
07-22-2006, 09:23 PM
In fact everything was hot. The reading I saw at 4PM was 112 :shock: Who knows what it was when it was really hot. Perhaps this should be the hot water forum rather than warm water forum. :D Lowest water temp I saw was 80 degrees. But there were fish being caught (and missed) in the morning and I think everyone had a great time with KD, at least I know that I did. =D> I went home early, us San Francisco types just can't take the heat. :D

It sure was good to meet some of you that I have only "met" before here in cyberspace. As good a group of people as you will find anywhere.

I hope we do this again sometime, but next time let's choose a cooler day, please. [-o<

mikenewman
07-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks to you Richard for motivating this (1st of hopefully many) get together.
Thanks to you KD for a terrific seminar - you really suffered for us out there today!
And big thanks to you Bill for providing this truly excellent forum for communication and like minded friendship.
See you soon guys :thumbsup:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Everything was great except for that darn Valley heat.

Jim and I had some top water action late Friday between 8 and 9:00pm. A nice cooling breeze came up last night. We had a nice dinner at Lundborg's with the early birds Friday night would came to camp.

Today we had more action from 6:00am till about 9:00am. It was so beautiful out there early that we commented that there was no way it would hit a 100 degrees today. Right........

We had a great meeting of fun people who are obviously fans of top water bassing.

I think some of us enjoyed a cool dip off the boat launch too.

Kevin Doran took out 5 people at a time in his big Boston Whaler at 10:00 am till about 1:00pm for an on the water demo of his top water methods. That was a big hit for all.

We had a barbecue with hot dogs and David Lee did some really good chicken. It was great for everyone to meet and get acquainted.

David and I will be setting a date in early October for a weekend replay of this trip when it is much cooler. With some lead time I am sure we can have a great trip there.

I have some pictures that I will put up soon.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a fun trip.

Thanks to Lundborg's for treating us well too. Not a fancy place but very friendly and perfect for bassy fly fishers.

We will have a kayak fishing demo in the future in Sacramento by Rickey Noel Mitchell too.

PS: I am still recovering from that heat.

Jgoding
07-23-2006, 09:56 AM
I knew it was going to be nice and cool yesterday... I got up to go to work at 3:30 am and it was still 85 freaking degrees outside.......... I was hoping it would be cooler for you guys down there but I guess not. My car said it was 110 at 3:30 pm or so when I arrived at a nephews B-day part in the Pocket area.....

I thought about hitting the A for a second or two in the evening..... It was still 90 degrees (according to my car) when I left pocket area at 11:30 pm and it was 85 degrees in West Sac... I am fishing the A this evening.... I think.... if I don't heat stroke out while watering the garden this afternoon...

Jeff

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-23-2006, 01:10 PM
When I am retired I will not be here in August...............

David Lee
07-23-2006, 01:33 PM
The trip was nothing short of FANTASTIC !!!!!!

THE WEATHER ......... you really had to be in it to understand - there was no getting away from roasting . In the 35-something years I've been going into the bush on these jaunts ..... this was by far the hottest .

THE FISHING ........ Not too shabby , provided you hit the water early or late (I fished almost all of Friday night/Saturday morning and did pretty good ...) . I think everybody got some fishes ....

THE CAMPING ........ Lundborgs needs to do a little work - Lights in one of the two showers were out , and garbage cans were no where to be found . Food was good , and the staff was friendly . No ice was available .

THE PEOPLE ...... I cannot over-state this - EVERY BASSBUGGER THERE WAS GREAT !! Never a dull moment w/ this group , even though the heat had taken its toll on us . Seeing old friends , and making new ones was the rule of the day ..... I hope everyone who attended this outing signs on again for the October trip - With better (cooler ...) weather , the next trip will be EPIC !!!

Thanks to all who attended , but a very special THANK YOU to ....

Richard , Mike Newman , and Hairstacker - for starting this get-together . I've no doubts that this will be a yearly event , thanks to you guys !!

Rickey Noel Mitchell - Sorry we couldn't get everyone in one spot at the same time for your clinic . Thanks for taking the time to come out , and Candida and I are looking foreward to your visit next week ( I'll expect you at the October bash for a hands-on demo) !!

Kevin Doran - You went above and beyond .... enlightining and teaching a better way . Your rep as THE Delta Bassmaster is well deserved , but your depth as a human was a pleasant suprise to me . Thanks not only for the demos (which blew away everyone in attendence) , but also for the conversation - I learned a lot and enjoyed the chat more than you could know ....

Again , Thanks to everyone there . You guys ROCK =D>

David and Candida Lee :D :D :D

KD
07-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I want to say thank You Bill for providing the forum for allowing this event to materialize. Also the guys at the shop and all of the posters..thanks for the support.

8) The Delta bass fishery on fly is in it's infancy. I am thankful for the support of many that has allowed me to bring this fishery into a little focus for the flyfishing public. The enthusiasm i see from clients and yourselves for Delta topwater bass makes me feel like my countless hours spent on the Delta in pursuit of these great game fish means so much more than my own personal enjoyment of the game. It truely is one of the best Largemouth fisheries in the world and as more flyfishers start playing the game this will become more recognized. It provides the fun, excitement, and the "hunt" that most dedicated flyfishers enjoy while plying the art. 8)

:thumbsup: To those that endured scorching heat to watch as I tried to give but a glimpse of how I approach the fishery, i want to thank you for being there. If conditions would have been a little cooler I am sure I would have had more questions but i'm sure most just wanted to get out of the sun as soon as possible. I appologize if I may have kept some from getting to enjoy the "grillin' & chillin'" . By the end of the second session I was about to overheat and I didn't feel i was on my game all day. I appologize for not getting everyone out but it was just to darn HOT!

So...it was great to meet all of you and see some familiar faces and this is an event that I hope will keep happening. Thank you all for the kind words and support. Stripers are a fun game as well, and it is a big part of my guide business. By adding Largemouth bass into the picture a fly angler now has a year long Delta fishery that offers countless hours of exploration. You guys really are part of the cutting edge of the Delta fly game for b.bass. This is only the beginning. I hope i was able to give you a little insight on how I play the game.

My trip home included a stop at Mildred to go for a dip in the pool to bring my core temp down. I had to dive down for about 6-8ft before i felt some refreshing water. Surface temps were around 82*.

Thanks to all and the support!

PS.. Hairstacker or David might have lifejackets left on my boat. Get in touch with one of them if you're missing one.

Hairstacker
07-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Even if I had known how hot it would be and I could make the decision again whether to go, I wouldn't have hesitated a moment to show up for this one. Even though I'm still guzzling Gatoraid, as I write this, to recuperate. :lol:

Meeting up with the fellas (most for the first time) was absolutely grand! The session with KD (Kevin Doran), though, was absolutely invaluable. Even though he only had the time to provide a "glimpse" as he put it, of his approach, he's had me re-thinking my game ever since.

I had thought Kevin would show us how to toss into cover or near gunk and get your fly back without having to swim in after it. To be sure, he's an expert on that and showed us some techniques, but merely throwing into cover is not the point of his approach. He approaches topwater fly fishing for bass the way a technical trout fisherman approaches trout in a stream. It's partly about knowing very specifically where a good fish should be, presenting the fly in the correct manner, and maximizing your chances of a hit on each presentation. This latter point does not mean retrieving all the way back to the boat, but rather, maximizing your chances of a hit within the fish's zone. You really have to spend some time with him in a boat to see and hear it for yourself. He showed us how to approach a tule wall and then he moved the boat to show us how to approach a rock levee wall. I was fascinated.

Not only is he the real deal, but you spend some time talking to him, which is real easy to do, and it becomes obvious how enthusiastic he is about fly fishing for Delta largemouth bass and striper fishing. He loves this stuff! I can only see his already sterling reputation as a premier Delta guide growing by leaps as more folks figure out how much they will learn and have fun in a day with him on the water. Special thanks and commendation to Kevin for getting groups of us in his boat and sharing insights with his rod in hand. By the way, while showing us some casts (again, presentations is a much better word for what he does), he got a blow-up on his fly, which entertained everyone on board.

I only have two regrets from this trip: (1) Somehow, I managed not to be in the same place and time to meet Richard :( , and (2) there were never enough folks in one place at one time so Rickey could give us a clinic on kayaking. I did get to pepper him with a few questions so not all was lost. Rickey, like KD, is real easy to talk to and he loves to talk about kayaks, so folks should not hestitate to get a hold of him. He has his own website listed in his profile on this board, by the way.

Well, thanks one and all for those who were able to make it. Very special thanks to David Lee for taking me fishing on his jonboat (The Squirrelly :lol: ) and cooking up some outstanding barbecue chicken -- that man KNOWS his way around a grill. I can't wait for the October event!!

Terry Thomas
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
KD, thanks for all of the tips and taking the time to answer all of our questions. I've got the Spiderman DVD all cued up and ready to go to work!
T.

Richard
07-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Mike,

Yep, only real disappointment, other than the weather, was missing seeing you. I look forward to seeing you in October. Look for the bald guy. :lol:

nightgoat
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
What a great time !!! :D I had more fun than a person should be allowed. I just want to second all the comments on the organizers and participants. It was great puting names to faces. Somehow I missed meeting a couple folks, which was very dissapointing. But I couldn't take any more heat and had to bug out Saturday afternoon.

So once again a giant thanks to all involved 8)

(Hairstacker, make sure you ask David about Friday night's adventure in The Squirelly :twisted: )

David Lee
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
(Hairstacker, make sure you ask David about Friday night's adventure in The Squirelly :twisted: )

Has Chris's hair gone white yet ???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for keeping you boys up so late - I still can't believe we didn't sink !! Hanging and fishing with you two had to be one of the more fun things I've done in my life . Let's get together for tying/Beers soon ..... :!:

David :D

Charlie Gonzales
07-23-2006, 11:36 PM
thanks to everyone for a great trip. KD, thanks for enduring the heat to pass on your years of experience.

came home with new friends, more knowledge, a couple of life jackets and an icechest short. if anyone has them I would be more than willing to meet up on the river for some striper fishing on my boat.

charlie

David Lee
07-23-2006, 11:48 PM
thanks to everyone for a great trip. KD, thanks for enduring the heat to pass on your years of experience.

came home with new friends, more knowledge, a couple of life jackets and an icechest short. if anyone has them I would be more than willing to meet up on the river for some striper fishing on my boat.

charlie

Got your icechest and five orange jackets - left a message on your recorder .

David :D

Rickey Noel Mitchell
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Hotter than hell, no garbage cans or ice. By the time I got there it was too hot to drag a yak to the water. But to meet David and Candida as well as Mike- Aka Hairstacker and others top that off with Kevin Doran sharing his Delta wisdom with folks on the water and on land I'd do it again in a heart beat.
By the way David and Charly, Joseph has the Ice chest and he will be in Sac this week and he can be reached at 805 705 3208.
Truly sorry I didn't get to do a clinic however I did get a better ideal how to improve my clinic in October and future ones. I will simply bring an assortment of kayaks so not only will we be on the water you will be able to see whats avaliable as far as yaks go. I truly feel my on land clinics have less than half the impact my on the water ones do. That said I'm truly looking forward to October. Great time thanks too all.

Chris V
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Big thanks to all who put this together and all who attended.

For me this was an amazing event. Until last Friday night, I had never targeted bass at all (except stripers w/ sub-surface flys). This event got me tying new flys, trying new techniques, and targeting a whole new species (or two) of fish! I can't wait to get back down to the delta when its not quite so hot, and there's not quite as much boat traffic- hopefully I can make a mid-week trip sooner than later!

David- it was a pleasure hangin with you & thanks for taking us out Fri. night. I am surprised we didn't have to go swimming! I'm down for some beers/ tying anytime- preferably in air conditioning! :D

A BIG thanks to KD for taking us out and showing us so much in so little time. For me it was truly mind blowing. It's one thing to read about your techniques, but another entirely to watch you in action- amazing. Your presentation will definitely change the way I look at water/ habitat/ & where I need to put my casts! :shock: