PDA

View Full Version : Telling Hatchery vs. Wild Rainbows?

rosebud
07-21-2006, 06:58 PM
I'll be on a trip with the family next week where I know there will be hatchery and wild trout in the same stream. I've been fly fishing for three years and am committed to releasing wild trout. But, I do love to eat fresh trout just caught from the stream and would like to keep a couple planters if I catch 'em. (Is that politically incorrect as a fly fisherman?) :wink:

I know all of the planters are rainbows, but how can you identify a wild rainbow from a hatchery rainbow? I've heard that planters have rounded fins and their colors are more muted (more silvery and less vibrant). Is this true? Will the hatchery or wild trout have more scarring? Also, are there any other differences? Anyone with pictures of hatchery vs. wild rainbows?

Thanks for any help.

- Rick.

jbird
07-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Rick

You are mostly right about telling the difference. Sometimes the hatchery will remove adipose fins. You can often make a judgement by how well the fish fights too. If it just rolls over and has stunted fins and a blunt nose, you could probably whack it. If its got vibrant colors and big, erect fins and fights hard, let 'r go. It can be hard to tell sometimes. I would suggest you er on the safe side if you cant tell.

J

bigtj
07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
You wont need anybody to tell you. You could probably tell if you closed your eyes. The difference in fight, take, and looks are as different as a new car vs. a 20-year old junker. It's that easy.