PDA

View Full Version : Our Burney area fishing trip report

Adam Grace
07-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Gregg and I got back from our Burney area fishing trip yesterday. We had a great time. We fished three of the top ten trout fisheries in the state: Pit River, Fall River and Hat Creek. The fishing was fair to good.

The Pit is still fishing well, both Gregg and I caught more fish there than the other locations. We fished in the morning and then after a midday break in the evening. We used #14 & 16 dark mayflies like black copper john's, A.P.'s and other variations. We found the wading to be challenging but not as crazy as others have made it out to be. We tried fishing dries in the evening but with no luck, we then switched back over to nymphing ans started catching fish.

The Fall River was a little slow but still productive. We fished from 11 until the clowds of mosquitos forced us of the water at dusk. The middle of the day was pretty hot at times, we were thankful for the breezes that soon followed. Swinging a small 16 or 18 plain PT nymph on an intermediate sinking line and a 9' 5x fluorocarbon leader proved to be effective. Swinging an olive crystal bugger also produced a couple of fish. Around 11 some PMD's were out and few trout were taking them from the surface, especially trout holding in the shade under bridges. The only other insect activity was the evening caddis hatch which drove Gregg and I crazy. We couldn't even buy a fish until Gregg tied on the great 'ol standard, a parachute Adams, in size 18 and then he hooked one fish that swam right to him and got off. We had other takes but no fish to hand...the Fall river has done that to me before but I still love the challenge.

We had only about one hour to fish Hat Creek so we fished the Powerhouse #2 riffle. We didn't hook anyhting but we were also fishing there later than we should have, about 10-11 after the morning spinner fall. We took our time in the morning getting ready instead of killing our energy and fishing real early.

Overall another fun fishing trip with a good friend.

I will post a bunch of pictures later.