PDA

View Full Version : Humphrey checking in ...

Neal Humphrey
07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Bill suggested I post a little check-in message.

30 years ago I used grab a fly rod and skulk around Northern California with Bill and a variety of other dubious characters (like myself). Then I moved to Marin County (and fly fished for sharks in Drake's and Tomales Bay). Seven years ago I moved to Utah. I have decent trout fishing a few minutes from my home on the Weber and Ogden Rivers, and pretty good fishing anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour's drive away. A couple of hours gets me into the High Uintas for alpine fishing, or Strawberry Reservoir to do some "Berry Picking" for huge cutthroats. In half a day's drive I can reach Island Park, ID, Yellowstone, WY, Green River, UT. And I do, but not often enough.

I will be on the Weber this evening with my wife, Christine. There's a vigorous caddis hatch near Peterson. She'll probably out-fish me. A few nights ago I managed to briefly snag a muskrat. Almost broke my new rod -- and a leg chasing the critter downstream until he shook the fly out of his fur.

I still get back to Sacto from time to time to see the grandkids 'cause the fruit of my loins decided to make their lives there. I'll drop by the store next visit. Be ready to repent.

The Rev'd Neal Humphrey
Westminster Presbyterian Church
Fruit Heights, Utah

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
If my memory serves me right Neal was the manager of Sierra Outfitters which was right next door when my shop was across the street at Town & Country Village West where the post office is now.

I guess we call those "the good old days".

We will keep an eye out for you Neal.

Neal Humphrey
07-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I call 'em the days when I was a flat-bellied young fella ...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
No kinden'.......getting old isn't for sissies.

gryhackl
07-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Neal
Awfully good to see your message show up on the board. It's been a few years and I'm glad to hear life's good. Tight lines to ya' and I hope I'm around when you stumble by the store next.

Darian
07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Hmmmm,.... This wouldn't be the Neal Humpries that co-authored a book titled, "Steelhead Fly Tying Manual" with Tom Light, would it :?: :?: :?:

Neal Humphrey
07-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Yup. That was me. And it's singular "Humphrey" -- no plural "Humphries" -- which according to those who know me, is a blessing.

About a year ago a parishioner actually tracked one of those old books down on Amazon and had me sign it. 'Twas the first and last time I ever signed a copy.

Hewie
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Here's a long shot: ever run into Fred Miller and his golden Sparky or Buddy? He spends more time fishing the Weber than just about anybody, but usually up river just below Echo. I used to fish the Peterson stretch until I moved back to Cali 5 years back. I sure miss it!
Dave

Darian
07-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Neal,.... Apologies for misspelling your name. :oops: :oops: I have a copy of the book, also. 8) If you cxan let Bill know when you're coming down again, I'll bring it in for your autograph. 8) 8)

I still recall conversations with Tom Light in the shop on Folsom Blvd. Lotsa good memories :D :D :D

Ed Wahl
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Sierra Outfitters! Haven't heard that name in a while. I bought a ground cloth,(I think only old farts know what those are anymore), years ago. Still using it and my friends can't find anything like it anywhere. Nowadays you get some high school kid giving you the benefit of his experience at REI and trying to sell you a footprint tarp for some tent. Hey, when did I get old? :shock:

Rob
07-20-2006, 10:08 PM
How about the Tower of sports :?:
I remember ridding my bike over there from my friends house in the 70's.

Hey Neal where is fruit Heights Utah :?:

Rob from Hyde Park Utah.

Neal Humphrey
07-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Lessee -- yup, I wuz the Sierra Outfitters GM for a while. Then I took off to work for some Austrian ski company. Have Bill tell you the story about the "American River Humbug" fly, if he's not to senile to remember ...

I haven't met the Miller mentioned who fishes the Weber, although a Doug Miller is a parishioner of mine. Doug is the host of an outdoor TV show, a local Bel Lange type of guy.

Rob -- Fruit Heights is about 20 minutes north of Salt Lake City. From Hyde Park you can just drive south about 70 miles on Highway 89 (or speed things up by taking I15 to I84, then Highway 89). I live another 10 minutes north very near the mouth of Weber Canyon. My wife loves fishing the Logan and Blacksmith's Fork.

Folks -- Most of Utah's population live along the 9-10,000-foot elevation Wasatch Front from Provo north to Ogden. There's more world-class skiing near a metropolitan area hereabouts than anywhere else on the planet. The resorts are always shutting down in the late winter with 100 inches of packed powder base left because their customers are all skiied out and are either home mowing their lawns or out fly fishing before the runoff shuts down the cricks and rivers.

I have a lawn service, which makes more time for fishing.

My wife hired a housekeeper, which makes for time for fishing.

We have our priorities.

Oh yes, and I'm still a member of the Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, Bloody Mary and Labrador Retriever Benevolent Association. As of yesterday I went from two to three Labs. And that's Madison Avenue in New York City, not Sacto.

I'm going to spend the next 4-6 weeks starting this new Lab pup. Then I'm going to interrupt a Sunday sermon and auction the bitch off. Proceeds will go to a mission project.

Rob
07-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Hey Neal.

Have you tried Spawn creek ?
Its goed into Temple fork which goes into the Logan and is full of Cutts, Browns and Brooks. We are going to Alaska in a few weeks and as soon as we get back I will be getting a Lab puppy. :D :D I am more excited about the Lab than going to Alaska. I have alway wanted a lab but have alway been out voted in the past.

Take Care
Rob.

Neal Humphrey
07-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Hey Rob --

I've fished the confluence of Temple Fork and the Logan, but I've never heard of Spawn Creek (but I quickly found it on a topo map). Thanks for the tip!

Before you get your Lab get a copy of "Water Dog" by Wolters to prepare you for training. The book has been around for a long time but the method is almost bomb-proof. My current Pup is the fifth one I've trained. I've also re-trained a 2-year-old bitch.

In fact, Pup is a rescue. Some parishioners of mine dropped her off a couple of nights ago. She'd been abandoned in a shopping center in Kaysville and had been picked up walking in the gutter of a busy street in our 100-degree weather. She's obviously not a pedigree Lab, but very mellow for a pup. I'm taking her to the vet next week to have her checked out, wormed, etc, and make an appointment to have her spayed.

It'll make a nice sob story when I auction her off.

My church folks are used to seeing my two Yellow Lab girls lounging around my office, so they won't be surprised at the ploy.

Rob
07-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks Neal

I see Cabela's has Wolters's ( water Dog )training DVD 's .
I have wanted a Lab for Years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our back yard in Sacramento was way to small and we already had two small dogs. In the last 10 months One died of old age :cry: and the other we had to put down :cry: because of a bad Heart and she was in a lot of pain . Our new home in Hyde Park has a very very large back yard and wild game birds every where. :D I have lab fever real Bad !! :D :D

The Logan is fly fishing very well right now .Cody my son and I just returned . we fished for 4 hrs and landed around 12 -15 each.We used a Black foam beetle on top with a Red fox squirrel nymph 25'' bellow . Most took the dropper. We landed browns and cutthroats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20fishing%20Utah/DSCN0020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20fishing%20Utah/DSCN0021.jpg

And Spawn creek .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20fishing%20Utah/resizedsp.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20fishing%20Utah/cropped2resized.jpg

Thanks again-
Rob