PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Rogue in Grants Pass

SteelieD
07-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Hey Gordon (or anyone!),

Since you seem to be the resident expert here for the Rogue in Grants Pass, I am hoping you can help. I am planning to drive to Lewiston, CA for a weekend of fishing and comraderie on the Trinity fly water from August 10th through 13th. I figure I'll leave on the 9th and drive most of the way giving me some time to camp and fish that afternoon/evening. Grant's Pass seems a logical stop and I am looking at the Valley of the Rogue State Park to camp/fish. So my question is, is that a good spot and is the fishing any good there? I'll probably won't roll in until about 5-6pm so my fishing will be limited to the couple hours before sunset (prime time I'm hoping!).

Hoping you can help. Any suggestions are definately appreciated.

Derek

jbird
07-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Derek

I am not that familiar with the specifics of valley of the rogue. One of my favorite spots to fish is about .5 mile upstream from there. Summer fish move quickly through the lower and middle river that/this time of year. The water is very warm and they are destined for the cool relief of the upper river....above gold ray dam... The fish (from my observation) move through the area in question in packs. They'll either be there when your there or they wont. You are absolutely correct about time of day. The evening is the time to be out. That area is surrounded by big hills to the west so the sun gets off the water pretty early. It makes the magic hour about 2 1/2 hrs. Also, dont look past fishing the cool of early morning.

I have had MUCH more success swinging that water in summer evenings than nymphing. I cant tell you how many times I was nymphing and then inadvertantly let the fly swing out and got hit...with no hits nymphing. I would then start swinging only and pick up a couple fish. Now I rarely nymph in that area in the summer.

Jay

Langenbeck
07-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Jay's advice is correct about water temperature and fish moving rapidly through this stretch in July-August. Personally I don't start fishing behind the house until the 1st of September. Think the best area of the Rogue this time of year would be from Lost Creek Dam down to the Shady Cove area.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I know Gary Anderson and Al Perryman talk about fishing in July and August for Steelhead but it is for very short period of time in the AM and PM so they say it would not be worth it to make a special trip then.

I will try to find out where for you.

Terry Thomas
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Speaking of the Rogue. I checked this morning, Thursday, and the flows is 2002 cfs with a river temp. at 51.6 F. The best news is that the summer run count is up to 3,475. Perhaps Gordon can let us know how this count stacks up against previous years for this time of the season.
Terry

Langenbeck
07-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Terry: As of 15 July the count over Gold Ray was 3,177 and the average for the last eleven years at 15 July is 2,206. The water temperature out of Lost Creek Dam may well be 51 but much more like 63-65 in the Grants Pass area. Also Medford temperatures this weekend are suppose to get to 109 with triple digit temperatures for the entire seven day outlook period.

sculpin
07-20-2006, 01:22 PM
If I was going to fish the Roge in the time frame mentioned off the bank it would be the upper river. You can camp at Rogue Elk Park. If the flows stay down it should be very good nymphing. For what ever reason when the steelhead cross Gold Ray they seem prefer a dead drifted nymphs rather than a swung fly in general. I haven't been out since the water started to drop because of boat trailer problems (had to put a new axle, hubs/brakes on it) . I just finished the repairs last night and will head out as soon as the heat wave passes and post a report. The temperature is supposed to get into the 109 and up range this weekend. :(

Mark

SteelieD
07-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

Mark, how far off I-5 is Roque Elk Park? I want to be able to maximize fishing time, and I fear I will be racing the sun.

Hopefully I will have a great report when I return.

sculpin
07-21-2006, 03:55 PM
SteelieD
I'm guessing Rogue Elk Park is about 25 mi off I-5. It's right in Hwy 62 so you can't miss it. From the park to the hatchery there is quite a bit of bank access for a shore bound angler. Also the water is as cool as you will find on the Rogue. Just hope they don't jack the water releases around. PM me if you want more details I don't want to step on any toes.

Mark