PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus Middle Fork

Declan
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
First of all, I have been silently enjoying the friendly banter on this board for a year or so, and just want to say thanks for the free entertainment!

Now down to business…. I NEED to get away for a couple of days to fish and I need help. I want to get out of town Friday morning and camp Friday night; I would love some seclusion and am willing to drive. I was looking at the middle fork of the Stanislaus and was wondering if anyone could lend any info about this stretch? Or other suggestions? I would prefer to camp in an unimproved camp area to avoid crowds, but I want good fishing most importantly, so I will stay anywhere. Any advice would be appreciated!

PS. A long overdue thanks to Keith Kaneko for my first Shad experience. A great day on the A back on June 2nd. Keith put in a lot of extra effort to make sure me and my brother in law got into the Shad. Thanks Keith, can’t wait to sign up for steelhead!

Darian
07-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow!!! your name is as unusual as miine is.... :? :? Anyhow, Not knowing anything about where you'll be coming from, I'd vote for a trip up Hwy 4 to Hwy 89. Then to Hwy 88 for the return trip. There're numerous, productive lakes and rivers/streams within easy striking distance of each of these Hwy's. 8) 8) 8) All of the waters at higher elevations will be fishing well. Camping can be crowded in some areas but there's planty of opportunties for car camping in unimproved areas. 8) 8)

If you haven't already done so, you need to acquire a Forest service or topo map or set of same for the area and do some research....

Hope you have a good time and good luck :D :D :D

Declan
07-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Darian,

Thanks for the advice; I guess I should have specified that I live in Brentwood, so a trip that starts out by heading west on 4 is convenient. I do intend to get the forest service maps/permits (if required for camping). Anybody else? I plan on stopping by the shop tonight to talk to the professionals, and get some gear.

PS. I didn’t get a harrumph out of that guy………

Declan
07-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I mean east on 4. Hard to work and think about fishing at the same time.

Brad McFall
07-21-2006, 01:37 AM
If you go up through Arnold, be sure to stop by White Pines Outdoors and talk to John or Dan Liechty.
They will dial you in on whats happening where at what time. (hatches) :D

Brad