PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Saturday's bass trip from top guide KD.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM
"Bill - you will be fishing the outgoing tide which will be a minus tide around 10:00am or so.

Fishing the fall is a good thing'.

Grey light until about 9-930 would be my call if you are fishing weeds.

Hit the rock walls (deeper water)as you near the bottom of the tide.....Washington cut area.

Carlo Proto just called me from the Delta and just hooked a 6 lb'r. 6am.

Kev"

Sounds like the morning should be a good one for us. Try to get out as early as you can.

Richard
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Here is the place I use for the tide charts for Bethel Island.

http://www.deltasportsman.com/tidesmain.htm

KD will have to check me on this as I am still an amateur at doing fishing forecasts based on tides. Even so, here are some guesses from an amateur.

It shows the low at 11:05 at -0.3. It is coming from a +4.1 at 3:13AM so the current will be moving pretty fast early in the morning. KD is the expert and that early morning period should be good, but watch the current as it will be really moving. It should start to slow down a little after 10. But that's when the skiers will be on the water, so watch out. :paranoid:

The afternoon high is at 5:51, but it's only a +2.9. That isn't that high and the shift is relatively small so the current flow will be down from the morning. The evening low is at 10:34 but it's only 1.5 so the current flow on the outgoing will be very small. KD will have to check me on this, but I expect that with a slow outgoing tide that the evening bite might be really good starting about 7:00 and perhaps earlier with the high being only 2.9. The afternoon should be really a good one for those with kayaks as you shouldn't have to fight the current so much.

In addition it's supposed to be REALLY hot on Saturday I have seen a prediction of 104 degrees :eek: and that will keep both the fish and me in the shade in the middle of the day. Let the water skiers have it. 8) If I do go on the water I plan to raise my bimini cover and watch the demonstrations from the shade. :)

KD
07-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Richard you're right about the tide bottoming @ 11.00.

There are a lot of things that I consider when trying to guesstimate the bite.

This week has been Hot(temps). When it has been this hot for this long the bite usually goes off in the early part of the morning. Today was an epic bite but we had cloud cover and even some sprinkles. It was wild. But It did turn off around 10 (about the same time we lost the overhead cover). This is fairly typical for the morning at least where i spend most of my time.
The afternoon tide does look good for water levels BUT:-)...It's a saturday and the fish will be impacted by the boat traffic(not settled).
Mobility is key to stacking the variables in your favor. Find undisturbed areas.

It's all academic at this point anyway 'cause you guys will be fishing despite all this. And probably bustin' some great fish and having FUN 'cause that's what its about.:-)

I'll be out there sometime around 11-12.