PDA

View Full Version : Kings River smallies

Sin Coast
07-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Howdy folks,
Just a quick report: I fished the Kings River, above Pine Flat Res this past Saturday and Sunday. The fishing was surprisingly good at times, especially considering they don't plant the river. I spent most of the time throwing hardware (hot lures were lil cleo and panther martin) but I also spent some time working the flyrod. It had been a while since I used the fenwick 5wt so it took me a couple fly donations before I got my cast back. But...I caught my first ever smallmouth bass on a fly! It was about 11 inches of pure mussle. I thought I hooked a big brown when I saw the bronze flash just below the surface! Caught em on a clouser variation, tied by a friend of mine. Also caught a few small wild rainbows. The biggest fish of the trip was a true 15 inch wild rainbow--I got him late Saturday afternoon on a 2/5oz bronze w/red stripe cleo. Most of the fish were very chunky and brightly colored. I hooked into the biggest trout of my life Sunday morning but it broke off my freshly spooled 6lb P-line! Had to be about 25 inches and 5lbs!!! I got him within 5 feet of my net! Aaaaarrrggghhh! Guess thats how he got so big.
I wish I had more time to fish/explore the river but I was also there to raft the river and we did two runs on Saturday. I'm dead exhausted right now and can't wait to get home from work and take a nap! Jeez, I sound like an old man! LOL!
Well, if you have any Q's just ask. And if you get the chance to fish up there, I highly reccomend it.

See ya,
PK