PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Fish on the American - what is this?

Keith Kaneko
07-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi All,

Our good friend, Joe Shirshac, landed this fish on the American this morning and we are not sure exactly what it is...? Look at it closely and please reply and let us know what this may be.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/kkaneko/MysteryFish-JoeShirshac-lowres.jpg

-Kiene's FS

Charlie Gonzales
07-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Ive always know it to be a "Sacramento pike" or squaw fish. The latter was not deemed to be politicaly correct so it was renamed. It is one of the reasons(other than salmon/steelhead) that stripers will never be protected int this area(the squaw fish is native, stripers are not). Im getting this info from a game warden that lives off of Bass lake road which I did some tile work for. He had also said they are more harmful to the salmon/ steelhead than stripers; which is where the sac pike reference comes from,I'm guessing.I've caught them to almost 15lbs and they faught as well as a striper.

Rob
07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Sacramento squawfish. ??
There are also on the Yuba river above the hwy 20 bridge. I landed one on a crawdad pattern that was 25 ''.

http://www.krisweb.com/krisrussian/krisdb/bw/no_pike_minnow_efish.jpg

FoothillFlyFisher
07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Squaw Fish...

I've caught a few big one's like that in the Kings River above Fresno...

FoothillFlyFisher
07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Squaw Fish...

I've caught a few big one's like that in the Kings River above Fresno...

Jasonh
07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Squawfish...i have caught a couple of those while striper fishing. Landed one about two years ago that went around 9 lbs on the boga, put up a decent fight too.

Jason Hartwick

Tony Buzolich
07-18-2006, 12:22 AM
I think it is properly called a "Sacramento Pike Minnow", also know as a squawfish, hardhead, pike, etc.
TONY

Brad Blancett
07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Correct Tony ! Sacramento Pike Minnow or squawfish

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Some friends came in the shop today and showed us that photo. Thye were floating the river today. They thought it was a carp, but I knew it was not.

In the view finder of a small digital camera it was obvious it was not a carp.

Here it does look like a Sacramento Squaw Fish or Pike.

__________________________________________________ _________

I went all the way up to British Columbia and was on remote lake where I saw some action along the shore. I shut off the outboard upwind and slid into position. I cast a big dry right on these working fish. I got a great take and landed a nice 16" fish.

Oh no.....a Squaw Fish. Those stinky devils followed me all the way up there, I thought.

KD
07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
We catch them occasionally in the Delta.

I had a day once in the Delta where I was hooking a lot of them cast after cast. I thought it was very strange to be catching pikeminnow in the area as I'd never caught them in that location before. As i proceeded moving along the edge I soon quit catching pikeminnow and started catching some stripers. And then more stripers. And then some big ones. And so on. I soon saw some distinct spawning activity.

As it turned out the pikeminnow were staging down current of a large group of spawning stripers. The stripers were up in a cut/strong current spawning and the pikeminnows were lined up feeding on the spawn flowing down current .

The stripers were stacked in that area for a week. I haven't seen this spawning activity in this area since and I haven't caught pikeminnow in that area since.

steelie
07-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Up on the Eel River, the town of Garberville has a derby every year to take them out of the river. Brown's Sporting Goods holds the derby.

Dustin Revel
07-18-2006, 01:34 PM
didn't even put up a fight
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/DustinRevel/miscelaneous/squawfish.jpg

Jgoding
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
That's the elusive American River Brown trout....... or that's what DJL told me...

LOL

Hairstacker
07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
That's the elusive American River Brown trout....... or that's what DJL told me...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
or the American River Bull trout.

Rob
07-19-2006, 12:58 AM
When I was eight I lived in Mountain home Idaho and they would have to drain or poison the reservoirs every few years because the squaw fish would take over the reservoirs.

SteelieD
07-20-2006, 12:42 AM
In Montana, not only do they have the Northern Pikeminnow but, there are a TON of these guys, Mountain Whitefish...
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/SteelieD/Whitefish-PikeMinnow.jpg
I cought a bunch of 'em. Fun little fighters but disapointing when you are fishing for trout! :roll:

Digger
07-25-2006, 01:24 AM
whatever it is, don't throw it back !!!

Katz
07-25-2006, 01:37 AM
We have called them the "California Brown Trout".

Suckers are "Sacramento Valley (or insert river name of your choice) Golden Trout" :lol:

Katz

Darian
07-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Interesting to follow the reactions of fly fisherman to Mountain Whitefish; a distant relative to the Trout (maybe not so distant :? )

I've fished for and caught many of them around Markleeville area and, even tho they don't put up a great battle, they are a good looking fish. Altho I've never eaten one, they should be decent eating (given where they live and waht they feed on). Also, they do take flies.... 8) 8)

So,.... I guess I'm wondering why Mountain Whitefish draw such much disdain from fly fisherman.... :? :? :?

Hewie
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Actually, Darian, to my pallette (sp?), whites taste like dirt. I had a neighbor in Utah I use to supply with ducks and he brought me lots of fish. One time he said "try this and let me know what you think". My wife's and my response was unanimous, "release 'em".
Dave