PDA

View Full Version : Any advice to help me plan my trip!

WinterrunRon
07-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Kiene's Gang,

I'm taking my fly rod, uhum, excuse me... family, on vacation the last week of July to beginning August and could use your advice.

We're heading to Mt. Rushmore, then Yellowstone, then the Tetons, then ?, then home.

My amature routing plan is to take Hwy 80 East and perhaps the first fishing stop being the Green River, ID. Continuing on towards Mt. Rushmore I can either head up to Casper and fish the North Platte or head to Cheyenne to fish ? before heading on to Mt. Rushmore. Then we head West on 90 towards Cody. I have no clue where to stop and fish between Mt. Rushmore and Cody or around Cody.

Somethimes, too much choice can work against you and that's where I'm at in the Yellowstone/Teton area. Oftentimes, when you have a choice, there could be better fishing on the lesser know rivers but I hardly know the well known ones.

Heading back, Southern Idaho is supposed to have some fabulous fly water I hear. Silver Creek, Big Wood, Little Wood and others?

Anyone willing to be assistant vacation planner for a day? Okay, I'll be assitant vacation planner and you can be chief vacation planner.

Books, websites, personal experience suggestions... be as general or specific as you care to, it's all welcomed so don't be shy.

Thanks for you willingness to help.

PS. I enjoy the photos for others' trips and will gladly post mine if I can figure out how to do it. I'm posting this message on the General Forum as well just in case no one visits this one.

Thanks, again...

Ron

mems
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Aloha, my Dad was born in Wheatland Wyoming and I have spent some time out there. The North Platte out of Saratoga is a great float. The Miracle Mile and Grey's Reef have big fish. Private water is the best over there, but they have had drought conditions the last few years. The Big Horns are great with Ten Sleep Creek as one of my favorites, but again private water is the problem. There are some public waters in the canyon.
There are many fine streams around Cody. The park has some good water, but the smaller creeks fish better this time of year. Out of the park try the Madison, three dollar bridge has big fish. Idaho, Silver Creek is a spring creek, long leaders big fish. The Big Wood is great, lots of access out of town. I was there last summer during a Green Drake hatch, what a big fly! Kelly Creek is and adventure, but huge bull trout and easy cutts. The snake out of palasades resevoir is unreal for dry action, little yellow sallies. You have tons of options. There are numerous little creeks and lesser known spots that are wonderful to fish. The Upper Green and the Winds have some great spots. Good luck and have fun, Mems.

WinterrunRon
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks, mems. Lots of first hand info... I appreciate it.