PDA

View Full Version : 7.16.06

Jgoding
07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Remember this day everyone....I caught my first striper on the American and on a fly..... I headed out after work since I got off early... about 7:30pm, and all 9" of him/her were beautiful.......... I broke off the first fish on the strike.... 11.5lbs orvis ss (2x?? or 3x), right after the blood knot, maybe had a wind knot since I dumped the cast a few times but I did check and it seemed ok (good fly too.. damn it!!).. and I missed the second as I had to swat a skeeter... and pretty sure I got west nile too since I counted at least 8 bites....

Finally stuck the little guy and it was a short but sweet battle and release. Can't find my camera either so i didn't get a pic, but caught him on a classically tied deep sheep shad. Lots of caddis out, saw one steelie rise (maybe a steelie, I assumed it was a steelie) and that got the juices flowing too... if only I could cast a floater and a SH at the same time I'd be set....

Jeff

Katz
07-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Congrats!!!

I'm sure there will be many more in your future :D

Kraig

Jgoding
07-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks Katz,

Stripe was fun but seeing that one fish porpoise for a caddis, I felt the steelie fever setting in...... :shock:

I do want to break say the 20" mark for a stripe though.... already thinking about heading out tonight if I can but I left my flies in my brother's truck Wednesday..... and I only have the one deep sheep left but I want to throw something bigger....

But like I said.... there was that nice riffle blow calling for me to skate some caddis flies grrr, decisions, decisions.....

Jeff