PDA

View Full Version : Polarized Sunglasses...

Gregg
07-17-2006, 02:25 AM
There was an interesting post forming in the steelhead section and I thought I'd bring it into the General section, as it is quite important to fly fishermen (and women). As polarized sunglasses are one of those "mandatory" items in fly fishing, especially when sight fishing, do they get the same attention that our rods, reels, and lines receive? They are typically quite an investment (comparable with a pretty nice trout reel or an entry level Sage or Scott rod sometimes!), but are they seen more as an accessory than a piece of equipment?

In my opinion, the best I've seen in polycarbonate lens technology are Oakley and Kaenon, but Von Zipper has just licensed 6 layer polarized glass lenses from Maui Jim for a few of their pieces...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/Ground%20Zero/vzpapag.jpg

Right now I'm wearing the Oakley Gascan in Tortise/Bronze polarized and the Oakley Bottlecap in Black/Black Iridium

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/Ground%20Zero/OakleyGascan.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/Ground%20Zero/oakleybottlecap2.jpg

Another new frame I'm excited about is Spy Optics "Nolen", which uses spherical, as opposed to flat, lens technology to ease stress on the eye and provide a clean line of sight.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/spynolen.jpg

Also, Oakley makes a solution which prevents streaking & waterspots...which is good for me as I routinely fall in the rivers I wade...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/gjshaw/Ground%20Zero/Oakleymisc.jpg

I know Action Optics seem to be popular, which is understandable as they are owned by Smith (another excellent eyewear manufacturer), but what does everyone else wear? How important is really refined lens technology to everyone? As you can tell, I'm a sunglass nerd... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jgoding
07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey Gregg,

Like I said earlier, I had a pair of Ray Bans with the Polarized Bausch and Lomb real glass lenses. Sorry, not much of a poly carbonate fan, but maybe it's just as good, I just never had anything compare with the clarity and color of those Ray Bans. They were a standard grey/black color but they hardly muted any light out and colors came through nice.

But just for fishing I wouldn't spend more than $40 on a pair of glasses as I know they are going to get abused and get deet on them etc... etc.. Back in the day the $15 pair from cabelas worked great even though they make you look like Ray Charles... Then again, I was looking at a pair of Revo's a few weeks back but they were pretty expensive.

As far as a necessity goes, they're a good thing to have, but I can fish without them. I mostly fish the American, and it's not much for sight fishing so I don't miss them much, but if I was bass fishing a lot more then I would definitely get a pair.

sculpin
07-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Great topic. I'm in the market for a pair of prescription glasses and would appreciate any feed back.

Mark

Jgoding
07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Sculp...

I would get polarized and color changing lenses..LOL Best quality lenses I ever had were on a pair of Nikons......but my GF at the time had to give them to her aunt whom I'm sure never wore them.

Jeff

Dustin Revel
07-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I have had both the oaks with polycarbonate lenses and the orvis HVO with glass lenses.
the polycarbonate lenses seemed to be lighter but they also tended to be easily scratched. not completely their fault I am rough on glasses
the glass lenses are a little heavier but doesn't bother me and i have not noticed any scratching.

Jgoding
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Dustin,

I don't mind the weight either... I just can't figure out why I would want to pay over $150 for plastic lenses that will scratch easy etc.. etc.. I know the technology is great and lots of people like the weight of poly over glass but still... If I'm going to drop that kind of money the lenses better be glass

Jeff

jbird
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Jeff

I'm with you. I dont like to spend much on fishing glasses cause I am so hard on them. I will rarely spend $25 on them. I prefer to have a couple pairs of cheap polarized glasses.
As for function, I rarely sight fish, the main reason I wear them is so I can see the bottom where I'm wading, dont want to step off "the edge". Also another huge reason ( and I cant say enough about this to encourage people to wear them) is to see the redds during salmon season.

Jay

PaulC
07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
I have a pair of Revo polarized with glass lenses.
Great clarity and don't scratch as easily.
Even broke them one sailing and they were replaced with just shipping as the charge.
I went through a few of the lighter polycarbonate lens glasses over time due to scratches, etc.
Sand is unforgiving on those things.
-Paul

Brad Blancett
07-18-2006, 12:39 AM
I am currently using the Costa Del Mar 580 series and 400 series glass lenses probably the best glasses I've worn ! 580's in Copper 400's in Gray

http://costadelmar.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CDM&Product_Code=B_Harpoon&Category_Code=B_Nylon+Composite

Darian
07-18-2006, 12:49 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in selection of a Polarized lens is eye safety. Unless a glass lens is tempered (as in shooting glasses), the glass will shatter on impact with a fly hook. This is tue even if the lens won't brea when dropped. A plycarbonate lens may shatter but is less likely to explode into the eye. 8) 8) 8) When fishing, I've been using an Action Optics blade lens for some time now and haven't noticed any scratching.... 8) 8) Think I'll continue using them. :D :D :D

JPY
07-18-2006, 02:29 AM
Getting polarized lens with a prescription can be tricky especially if you are beyond the +5.0. Basically Action Optics and the other eye companies can't accommodate that prescription b/c the wrap on the frame would cause the lens to be as thick as the bottom of a coke bottle. So my only option (short of getting lasic since I can't wear contacts in Sacramento) was to get a pair of clip ons (did not work that well), cacoons (which was really uncomfortable when I tried them on), or order a special frame to accommodate my prescription (Rec Specs - Crosstrainer). I went with the last option since I wanted to maintain the wrap. It worked but it was expensive. But for those who are basically legally blind w/o your glasses, you may want to look into Rec Specs.

John