PDA

View Full Version : Where to go - Yuba, Putah, other?

Ben-doc
07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I just got my wife a brand new 5 weight rod and reel for her birthday and want to take her trout fishing tomorrow afternoon/evening...She's a beginner and I want to give her the best shot at catching a fish (regardless of size), since it's pretty tough for us to both have enough time free to go and do this. Was thinking of heading up to the Yuba, but have heard mixed reports. May just head over to Putah, but it's been pretty crowded the last couple times I went there. Not a big fan of driving more than an hour and a half...

Anyone got and suggestions? I'll probably be in the shop tomorrow afternoon and get the expert advice then. :)

Darian
07-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Hmmmm,.... If your wife is a newbie to fly fishing, try someplace where you can get some Bass/Sunnies. There oughta be a bunch of places like that around Davis 8) 8) 8) If your wife is an accomplished fly fisherperson and you've got your heart set on Trout fishing, that'll tend to limit your options. :? :?

Adam Grace
07-16-2006, 04:51 AM
Fish hoppers on the Yuba!

07-16-2006, 05:51 AM
now now people... what are your favorite places to travel to? :)

Tony Buzolich
07-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I'll go with Adam's suggestion and say that the Yuba has been fishing very well for those that go there.

Hoppers are good mid day or if the wind is blowing. Several of my customers have been using large Stimulator patterns (#6) followed by a dropper nymph usually a caddis of some kind like Fox's Poopah in a #14. This combination has been good for the past few weeks.

Farther up the Yuba very large(#6-#4?) black stones (hellgamite?) patterns with rubber legs have been taking fish in the evenings.

Good luck out there. It's going to be a hot one today,
TONY

Ben-doc
07-17-2006, 01:32 PM
We went out to the Yuba last night and fished the South side below the bridge from about 5:30 to dark. Spent most of the time helping the wiffo cast. Fished hoppers, stimulators, and poopah's and finally got a couple hits on a caddis emerger around 8...first one I missed because I was daydreaming, second I missed because I was too excited and yanked it away from that poor hungry fish. :roll: She didn't get any hits but it was a great evening with some red sunset bathed hills to keep us interested.

How far downstream does that access road go? I chickened out about a third of a mile down because of the 20 inch depressions, but when I hiked downstream it looked like it became paved a ways down.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
You could drive up Hwy 50 to Kyburz Lodge and turn right just past it to go up the Silver Fork.

Park around China Flat Camp and walk upstream at around 5:00pm till dark with #14 dries on 5x tippet.

Royal Wulff, Elk Hair Caddis, Yellow Humphy

Tony Buzolich
07-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Ben-doc,

That road goes clear through to the town of Linda at the Hammonton/Smartville Rd. entrance. It used to be gated but is public access now. :shock: Oooops, now there'll be traffic jams out there.

TONY

Darian
07-18-2006, 01:26 AM
I've driven that road several times in the last two years and found it in great disrepair. It is paved for the most part but the pot holes are more like bomb craters and they hadn't been filled/repaired for all of that period. :( :( :( I kinda think Yuba Consolidated wants it that way..... A large stretch of the road crosses BLM land but access to it is limited or closed by them.

If your verhicle can take the punishment, there's ome very good deep runs and riffles to fish. Watch out for aggresive cattle on the north side.... (got chased by a bull a couple of years ago and had to cross the river to escape :shock: :shock: :shock: ).

Tony Buzolich
07-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Yep, :lol: That sounds like a lotta bull to me :D
TONY