PDA

View Full Version : Sandmound recon with KD and other info

Richard
07-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Went out yesterday with KD and spent the day at Sandmound and other locations. Here is what we found. KD will, hopefully, correct me when I get it wrong. :)

The very end of Sandmound is pretty much dead now. :( The water temp was 80 and there is an algae boom that has probably reduced the oxygen in the water. The spot is probably a spawning area for April, May and June, but now it is probably not worth fishing. The water starting about where the boat docks start is better. I have not fished this area as it can be difficult for top water, but sub surface might be good. :?: There is potentially good fishing from the upper end of the slough to , but not into the lower area if you pick your spots. I'll try to have maps to suggest areas to fish, but they wil be fairly obvious. For those launching kayaks, etc. I have got two Marinas where you might want to launch if you want to fish Sandmound. I haven't called them, but it says they have launch facilities.

Emerald Point Marina at the top end of Sandmound. 4230 Stone Road. Just after crossing the bridge into Bethel Island take Stone Road to the right and go to the end.

Carol's Harbor, 4850 Sandmound at the lower end 4850 Sandmound Keep going sraight on E Cypress (don't take the left to Bethel Island) go to the end and turn left on Sandmound Road. I would call to make sure about this one - phone 925-684-2803, at least that's the number I got, it might be old.

More bad news, sorry :( They are spraying for hyacinths all over the place. KD says this puts the bite down for about two weeks. If you see an area that looks like it has been sprayed "recently" move on and try another location.

This will be a weekend day so fish the areas beyond the no wake zones early and late, unless you like big waves washing you overboard. :shock:

OK, some good news, FINALLY :D We did catch fish. I, of course, with my normal skill managed to early release or miss the strikes on the really big ones. KD must be having nightmares after a day out with me. :oops: The largest ones we saw were in the tullies on Roosevelt Cut just at the end of Piper Slough. There is a stong current here and there are not a LOT of fish, but they appear to be pretty big. The area will be unfishable once the skiers and jet skiers get on the water so if you want to fish it fish it very early or near dark.

The area across from Russo's Marina looks promising, although we didn't fish it so that's an additional possible launch point for non powered boats. There was an 8+ pound bass caught (and released) on top (not on a fly rod) behind the docks next to the Lundborg launch site. So fishing the docks and the walls between the docks on Piper Slough near Lundborg could be a real possibility. I have seen two bass probably 8 and 5 pounds behind the docks at Franks Marina. There are a lot of semi abandoned docks in the area and while I have not fished them I know they hold fish. Fish on the levee side of the docks when possible.

OK that's MORE than enough. I am looking forward to the 22'nd and hoping that everyone has a enjoyable time. :) :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Richard.

I think this will be a great day for learning and meeting up with others too.

David and I are already talking about an October bass trip when it cools off down there.

Next year we will be more prepared and will have a May bass outing because that is when KD said it was best and that is my feeling on general bass fishing as well.

I think Spring is best and then Fall is good too.

We should have a great time down there fishing early then getting some fishing tips from KD and then barbecuing too.

David Lee
07-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Great report , Richard !!

Actually ........ my plan all along has been to bypass Sandmound and fish the docks and seawall openings in Piper Slough . Darian and I saw some VERY nice lookin' water across from Bethel harbor .

It stands to reason that with all the Bass pro tournaments at places like Sugar Barge , Franks , etc. ..... that those Bass have been released around the ramps - There should be a bunch of fish around them in low light :!:

Besides ....... I'm in a skinny 12 foot Jonboat w/ an electric on it -no need to risk swamping at the hands of lunatic skiers [-X

David :D

Hairstacker
07-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the great report Richard! Were they spraying in Piper Slough as well? How do you recognize a sprayed area?

Just think, we're one week away! I can't wait! So, it sounds lke everyone's going to fish on their own in the morning and then meet up on the water in front of Lundborg Landing at 10:30 for K.D.'s comments?

I think it's going to be fun regardless. I've had some great days in the dead heat of summer in the Delta at all hours of the day. You just never know when some fish will come up and make it seem like someone threw a big rock at your fly. :D

Richard
07-15-2006, 03:46 PM
It's pretty easy to recognize a sprayed area. Every time KD pointed it out to me I saw it right away. Look for dying, or dead, vegetation. The spraying is aimed at the hyacinth so if a bunch of hyacinth looks really sick it has likely been sprayed. That stuff just doesn't seem to die any other way. :? If it is starting to grow back then it has been a week or so since they sprayed. Look for insects. If you see them flying around that's a good sign, if not then it's going to be tough if you fish top water. Of course you subsurface types keep your heads under water so you probably won't notice. :lol: I don't know this for sure but as the spraying doesn't kill the fish (I hope) they likely move to another nearby area. So if a bank is sprayed maybe the fish went under the docks across the way or against the other bank. It's worth a try anyway.

Hairstacker
07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Richard, really appreciate your comments and your strategy makes perfect sense. In that sense, maybe the spraying is a good thing, as it will help us locate the fish and figure out where they won't be. . . . 8) :lol: As you know, the Delta has SO MUCH good looking water everywhere you look that you always feel like maybe you should be throwing somewhere else, even though where you are looks just as good. :lol:

Darian
07-15-2006, 04:30 PM
I know it's a beautifully flowered plant but it sure can choke up a body of water. :( :( :( Fowls props too. We didn't see any of it in Piper Slough (the parts we visited, anyway). 8) 8)

Here's a recipe for ceviche that'd go good with beer/BBQ down there:

>
> 1 cup, fresh lime juice
> 1/2 cup, seasoned rice wine vinegar (Roasted Garlic Nakano's is a good one)
> 2-4 garlic cloves, mashed
> 1 red Spanish onion
> 1 lb. shucked Scallops (large size are better), cubed if large
> 1 lb. fresh Halibut, Snapper, Cod or Black Bass
> 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
> 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
> 1 small cucumber, peeled, seasoned and diced
> 1 small papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
> 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
> 2 tblspn fresh lemon balm or mint, minced
> 1 head butter lettuce
> 1 fresh lime, cut into 6 wedges
>
> Place lime juice, vinegar, barlic and onion in a non-aluminum bowl. Add
the Scallops and fish and toss lightly to coat with the dressing. Marinate,
covered, in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Stir occasionally. 30
minutes before serving, add the pepper, cucumber, papaya and herbs. Chill.
>
> Serve on leaves of butter lettuce with wedges of lime for garnish.
>
> This recipe serves 6 people. It can be scaled up or down but the
marinade must be adequate enough in volume to cover the seafood.

Probably needs to be prepared the night before to be ready around lunchtime If everybodies fishing.