PDA

View Full Version : Bananas, good or bad luck?

JerryInLodi
07-14-2006, 09:03 AM
I was out fishing for Dorado and we were having an exceptionally good day with twelve fish landed in less than two hours. I needed a break and reached into the cooler and pulled out a banana. My fishing partner freaked and said his brother-in-law would have practically thrown me off the boat. I had vaguely remembered something about the superstition but have never believed in that kind of stuff.

Funny, the next really good day was another day when I happened to bring a banana. Yesterday afternoon I went to the store and bought some more bananas for today's fishing.

So the question is:

Are bananas good or bad luck or make no difference when fishing?

Love to hear some "banana" stories as well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Jerry,

We fished with guide Mike Kuczynski, owner of the Eureka Fly Shop, in his jet boat on the lower Klamath River.

He won't let you take bananas on his boat.

He has signs/stickers on his boat.

?????

gryhackl
07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I've never heard of that one, but now that I have, I wouldn't want to tempt fate. I need all the good luck I can get, that's why I bring my dog along.

Sturmer White
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I fished with the river pirate last year and he won't leave the dock if anyone has a banana with them.
It was crazy.
He sure belives it though.

FoothillFlyFisher
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I had the similar experience on a charter boat for lake trout on Lake Tahoe a few years ago. My wife pulled out a banana for a snack about mid morning. And, I thought the captain of the boat was going to lose it!

Can't really say if there's anything to it, more that the old superstition. But, I know I can get a little nervious when a black cat crosses my path! :shock:

PaulC
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Here's an interesting link.
http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm
-Paul

JerryInLodi
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Paul, I read the stories, wow, some people go ballistic. I'm going to have to make sure I never carry a banana in my lunch when I'm a guest of someone.

HOWEVER, I am now BANANA CHALLANGED!

I've already caught Dorado on watermelon by carving a piece into the shape of a plug and casting it with my light spinning rod.

I'm going to make a BANANA hoochie when I get some good green bananas with fairly tough skins. The ones I have now are too ripe.

I'll troll the regular hoochies until we get into some fish and then switch and try the banana hoochie. Photographs of success or failure to follow!

Funny, I went over to my friend Victor's house this morning. He's a guide here in Mulege (I'll have a page for him on my website when I return to El Norte). He picked some grapes off the arbor in his back yard and some figs and handed them to me and challanged me to catch some Dorado with them! He was in the boat next to me when I caught the Dorado on the watermelon.

I told him no, I first need to catch a Dorado on a banana, maybe then a fig and then, if I really want a challange, on grapes. How in the world can I troll or cast a grape?

Reno Flytyer
07-14-2006, 02:09 PM
I think I'll go behind my buddy's back and put a banana in his float tube pocket the next we go out. :evil: If it works that time, I'll start making bets on future trips! :lol:

mems
07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Aloha, if you ever fish in Hawaii, don't even think about bringing a bannana on board over here. Most guys would turn around and leave you at the dock. I was fishing in Alaska with some Hawaii guys and this lady had a bannana in her bag, and the capatin was sure that was why we hadn't caught our limit of king salmon. He just looked at the lady in shock as she tried to peel and eat the thing. He couldn't help it but just grabbed the bannana out of her hand and tossed it over board. About 10 minutes later we were all hooked up. Guys in Hawaii believe in the curse, don't cross them. Mems.

larsj
07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
this is great.. never heard about this before..

me, I think that if having a banana in your pocket allows you to feel confident about your fishing, then you'll probably catch more fish with it. The reverse is likely true as well.

A banana hoochie :D :D :D !

--Lars

Hairstacker
07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread is absolutely hilarious! :lol: I thought I had heard it all if it relates to fishing but this is a new one for me. Who would have thought. . . bananas. . . . Sounds like an episode from Gilligan's Island. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darian
07-14-2006, 05:39 PM
On the recent trip to Baja, lunches that were furnished contained banana's and we were warned not to eat 'em (get rid of 'em). My partner did well but I had some motion sickness and didn't catch anything that day. :( :( :(

Actually, that was the first time I've ever heard of it before. Not sure all of the reaction is warranted but if dine in good humor.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigtj
07-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Bill,

I worked for Mike for 4 years and he has it absolutely right. I don't even let my buddies talk about the "B" word while fishing. The topic is closed! No b-words allowed.

Reno flytyer,

You don't seem to get it. You will be messing with your own fishing worse than your buddies. Purposely taking a bannana on a fishing trip, no matter its location, is a disaster for everyone!

-John

PS I love the look on people's eyes when I tell them about my superstition on this! To tell the truth that's where the real fun is...

David Lee
07-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I've heard of this one for quite a while now .....

ALL of my Australian friends are anti-banana ....... I , however , DO NOT perscribe to 'luck' - I believe you make your own luck by paying attention to the details (tying the right knots , taking care or gear properly , etc.) .

Besides ..... I puke like mad on the ocean , so bananas would not hurt OR help :puke:

David :D

J.R.
07-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I guess I don't have to worry about this one 'cause I don't eat bananas. :lol:

jbird
07-14-2006, 07:23 PM
several years ago I was aboard a panga in mexico, It was just me and the panguero. He no abla english and I no abla espaniol. It was pretty quiet that day...except for the wide open yellowfin tuna bite. The one thing he conveyed to me that i understood was there was to be absolutely no bananas aboard his boat. :lol:

I've always thought of it as mumbo jumbo. What if you eat the banana before boarding the vessel? You are still technically bringing a banana on board. :wink:

J

JerryInLodi
07-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Now what does this mean? At this posting over 195 people have viewed the "Banana" thread but only 14 have answered the poll.

I'm guessing that the remaining 180 are so fearful of the "banana curse" that they're afraid to even check a box where the subject is "bananas!"

Or am I just full of BANANAS!

Darian
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey everybody,.... Does this curse apply to plantains too :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
07-15-2006, 02:05 AM
I mentioned this thread on Blanton's board and someone referred us to a tarpon guide's website that makes it clear that, not only are bananas not allowed on the boat during tarpon season, but "banana muffins, trail mix, etc.," as well. :lol: The guide emphasizes, "I am not kidding!" :lol: :lol:

Adam Grace
07-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I have put off reading this post because of the title... but damn this is funny! I've never heard of this superstition either. But I am not one to tempt fate. No bananas for my trip with Gregg to the Burney area. :D

Jay Murakoshi
07-15-2006, 01:20 PM
No banana's in the panga's. Like it's been mentioned, it's just a supestitution thing but it's funnier than hell when a banana is pulled from our lunches. Two of my captains Effern and Mancho always look at me and laugh, they know the story of the banana's.

Great humor

Jay

JerryInLodi
07-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Eleven boats went out today, me included, absolutely NO DORADO, and NO BILLFISH. It's been like this for three days following a big chubasco that blew through town on Wednesday night.

In short fishing sucks. I've had it. I went to the supermercado this afternoon and this is what I bought. They will go with me on the boat tomorrow.

http://ww1.pureupload.com/stfiles/309/bananas.jpg

jbird
07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Jerri

I was very impressed with the produce available in baja. Those look like dandies! Keep us posted :wink:

J

Jay Murakoshi
07-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Is the boat insured :D

jay

Brad Blancett
07-15-2006, 09:01 PM
There will be no fish in the boat tomorrow for Jerry . :roll:

I have seen a baggage check on a few Long Range boats due to a Banana on board rumor and they are located and overboard they go before they leave the Harbor !

I still do not even take them on the freshwater trips .

I am with Jay :wink:

Hairstacker
07-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Is the boat insured

There will be no fish in the boat tomorrow for Jerry .

You guys crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

alaskanfish
07-16-2006, 05:39 PM
You make the call...http://www.onlineguidefinder.com/images/July%20031.jpg

Best days on the river always include Bananas... besides, when it gets crowded, simply send a peel down river and it is like the parting of the Red Sea.

Rob
07-16-2006, 05:43 PM
This could help !! :D :D

cross breeding a fish with a Banana !!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Life/untitled.jpg

MSP
07-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Down in East Cape earlier this year my daughter caught wind of the banana thing. The resort supplies the lunches on the boats and every other day or so they put bananas in them. So each day we would check the lunches on the way out and promptly throw them over if they were there. Well the last 2 days there my daughter decided to check the lunches before getting on the boats and started throwing them out from the dock. Needless to say there were a few fishermen hanging around the dock wondering what the Hell she was doing. We all had a pretty good laugh. The only bananas we wanted on the boats were US! :lol:

Darian
07-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Hmmmm,.... Did anybody notice if the fish took the banana's :?: :?: :?: Might be the start of something big.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wednesday Caster
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I've read that long ago bananas were some of the few prominent items floating after a boat-sinking and the association: Bananas sink boats!!! I wade fish mostly so I still pack a banana now and then. Can't recall if those days coincide with my un-intentional swims though...hmmm?

Mike O
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
is this just for boats, or for wading....just loooking for something to carry to give me an excuse next time. :lol:

Darian
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Hmmmm,.... If the banana's were on board the sunken boat, wouldn't they provide a form of flotation :?: :?: Just maybe, this was a case of sabotage where the Sabatuer threw the banana's overboard to help sink the boat. :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: