PDA

View Full Version : NFF Question

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I just had a huge surprise, well not really.
My desktop computer is having a problem and I think it's going to be a huge problem. You can tell just by the wording

Here's the problem:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the file

OK, computer guru's, is this a major problem. Is this a major problem and can it be resolved by me. Later today, I will be taking the CPU into the computer "geeks" at best buy to get this thing up and running again. (I hope)

Thanks,

Jay

PS

How secure is "my space.com"

Ben-doc
07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't call myself a computer guru, but my guess is that it is not a huge problem. It depends on what actually corrupted or caused that file to go missing. If you have your original Windows installation CD, it should be able to fix just that file--I don't recognize that file as being extremely vital or unfixable.

You never know though--I spent 6+ hours last weekend trying to get a wireless router working, to no avail. ](*,)

bigtj
07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Since your system can't boot up you're going to need to re-boot externally via a boot disk and run system restore. Not a major problem probably but since you don't consider yourself a guru, take it to the geeks to take care of it.

This is always the time to ask yourself, am I backing up my hard drive frequently enough?

As far as myspace, or the internet in general, use Mozilla Firefox browser to avoid security issues, as well as a good anti-virus program with live update, and consider getting a good-qualiy firewall. Ever since I switched to Firefox I have gotten zero spam, zero popus, and not a single virus. Internet Explorer is a realy problematic browser, I would dump it if you're using it.

Good luck on this.

Paul Meyers
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Jay,

Ok, you have a couple of options.

The ntoskrnl.exe is the operating system (NT OS Kernel). Or a major part of the operating syste. I know too much information.

This file typically does not get corrupt or go bad unless you have a hard disk problem. Basically, this file is an executable is nothing is written to the file, thus it doesn't go bad like a configuration file or such.

My suggestions:

1. Restart the computer multiple times. I've found that sometimes the disk will be able to read enough to find the file.

1a. If you know how, run chkdsk. This can be done (if memory servers me correctly) by hitting the ESC key. It might be different for you and might be indicated right when the computer is started. Basically, it will be the first message on the monitor.

2. Get a recovery disk for the computer. My computers come with a disk that can be used to recover. If not, they can be ordered from the manufacture. Not sure of costs. Might just be shipping. Insert the disk and follow the directions to re-install the OS. Generally, it is a matter of hitting the enter key.

3. Take it to a geek center. They can examine the hard disk to see if there are any issues.

Here are a couple of links that might help:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t224970-missing-or-corrupted-ntoskrnlexe-file.html
http://www.ntcompatible.com/windows_rootsystem32Ntoskrnl.exe_error_t34499.html
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-172984.php

Using google.com can provide other answers.

Good luck and let me know if any of this helps,

Paul

BillPu
07-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey Jay,

What version of Windows do you have? I suspect Windows 2000 but could be wrong. Here's an article from Microsoft's Knowledge Base that deals with your situation:

"Windows NT Could Not Start...Ntoskrnl.exe" error message
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 124550
Last Review : May 17, 2004
Revision : 3.0
This article was previously published under Q124550
For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, see 314477 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477/EN-US/).

On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Method One

Method Two

Method Three

Method Four (Windows 2000)

MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
When you try to start Microsoft Windows NT, you may receive the following error message:
Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Winnt_root\System32\Ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions exist: • The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
• Windows NT is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
• For Microsoft Windows 2000, the Hal.dll file can be corrupted or missing.
NOTE: This issue can also occur in Windows NT 4.0 and 3.5 if the system partition is larger than 7.8 gigabytes and system boot files have be placed outside of the 7.8 GB limit (possibly as a result of applying a service pack or defragmenting the drive). Windows XP does not have this limitation. This is a hardware limitation and occurs independently of the operating system. This should not be an issue on newer computer if their BIOS supports INT13 Extensions and this feature is turned on, which it is by default.

For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
224526 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224526/) Windows NT 4.0 supports maximum of 7.8-GB system partition
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods:
Back to the top

Method One
Start the operating system with a bootable disk. After you start the operating system, edit the Default entry in Boot.ini and ensure that the other entries in the [Operating Systems] section point to the appropriate directories.

For additional information about creating a bootable disk for Windows NT or Windows 2000, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119467 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/119467/) How to create a bootable disk for an NTFS or FAT partition
Back to the top

Method Two
Use the repair process to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Start your computer using the three Windows NT Setup diskettes. When prompted, type R to begin the repair process.
2. Insert the Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) in the floppy drive when you are prompted.
3. When prompted, enable only the Inspect Startup Environment option to correct inconsistencies in the Boot.ini file.
4. Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the repair process.

Back to the top

Method Three
If you determine the system partition is larger than 7.8 GB, Windows NT has been setup in an unsupported configuration, and the drive will need to be repartitioned to a size less than 7.8 GB.
Back to the top

Method Four (Windows 2000)
To fix a corrupted Hal.dll file, restore the Hal.dll file from a backup to the %windir%\sytem32\ folder.

For additional information about how to fix a corrupted Hal.dll file, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
237556 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237556/) How to troubleshoot Windows 2000 hardware abstraction layer issues
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
If the Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing, Windows NT displays a new entry in the OS Loader (boot loader) menu named "NT (default)" and defaults to the new entry. The "NT (default)" entry points to the following path to load Windows NT:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

For additional information about the Boot.ini file, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
102873 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102873/) Boot.Ini and ARC path naming conventions and usage
Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
• Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition

Here's the link to the actual article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124550/en-us

The main problem you might run into is that the fixes rely on valid and current backups. If you are not comfortable dealing with this then take it to a tech shop like CompUSA. Or call your PC manufacturer. I have Dell's and they are pretty good at helping. Microsoft is also very good at assisting you but they will charge a small fee.

Also, do you have a virus scan and/or firewall running? After getting your system back up, you should run a scan with current virus definitions just to be safe.

Good luck.

Bill

larsj
07-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Hi Jay,

Sounds like its "system restore time". Do you have a installer/restore CD? That will likely not overwrite your files (doing a restore). If you reformat the drive you will have a blank system.

--Lars

this link may help:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/351603

musician by night .. computer geek by day .. fisherman whenever...

Ed Wahl
07-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Ben-Doc, I (actually my wife), had problems with a wireless router a couple weeks ago. We wanted to add a computer on the other side of the house. Everything worked but no connection on the recieving end. After a lot of trial, trips to the store, and phone calls we(she) found out that wireless won't go through kitches appliances. Ended up running a cable through the attic. Are you trying to send through a kitchen?

PaulC
07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey Ed,
Alot of the newer homes have metallic sheeting in columns and corners of the walls. They act causing a physics phenomenon called a faraday cage.
Appliances would also contribute to this. Anything metallic and electrically conductive.
Simply speaking, they trap wireless signals from one part of the house to the other. You can get around that using repeater boxes which alot of vendors such as linksys make. I have two repeaters in my house and still have coverage into the backyard. They basically locally amplify the weak signal from the other room.
Hope that helps!
-Paul

P.S. make sure you turn off the SSID broadcast option when using wireless. Anyone and everyone can tap in if you don't have that turned off and encryption enabled.
Without that your neighbors have a free connection at your expense.
Even with encryption and SSID off, a good hacker can still break in but it takes a good amount of time. If you see a guy with a laptop by your house in his car hanging out for a few hours....then something is up.

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks to everyone who sent messages trying to help me out. I'm going to turn it off and turn it on, if that doesn't work. :(

I've tried using a disk but it wouldn't start up. Maybe the wrong disk. I think I probably threw the disk away. Ya know, when you buy a computer, you get all these disks with it, well I had a stack of them and started throwing a bunch away. I guess if it was fly tying materials, I know I would of saved it.

Anyway, I'll keep trying for a few more hours. I'm in the process of packing for baja and don't have the time to sit here and fiddle with technology

Thanks

Jay

Darian
07-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Jay,.... For all of the time you spend down there, you oughta just leave some clothes down there in hotel storage and have them delivered to your room when you arrive.... That sure would reduce the amount of packing/time involved in making the trip. 8) 8) 8)

Alastair
07-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Jay, try this. Restart the computer, hold down F8 on the keyboard to boot into safe mode. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Restore to a previous date when everything was working correctly. If that doesn't work try this, boot into safe mode (hold down F8) at the desktop double click my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, then click the tools tab. Select "Check system for corrupt files" or something to that effect. Put the Windows CD in the CD rom drive and reboot. On reboot it will scan the CD for the missing file. This will take a while. When it's done, reboot just to be sure. You should be good to go, but I won't guarantee it, it is a computer after all. :twisted:
You could also try downloading the particular file, look it up in Google, download it to your desktop and then copy and paste it in your C:Windows/system32 folder. You can get on the net in safe mode. Good luck. It's great having these time saving devices to make our lives easier, isn't it?

Jay Murakoshi
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I tried your idea but it still doesn't load. I still have the same error message posted. I can't get into the main desk top.
Looks like it's back to the Geek Squad. The last time they reloaded windows, I lost everything. They did back up some files to an external hard drive then redown loaded but i couldn't find where the files went too.
If they do it this time, I can't lose any files. I have all my invoices, all my web site information, including the files. Do I ever save anything to a disk? NO :(
But I think I better start. Like I mentioned, I'm not technically oriented. I am oriental, not oriented.

Jay

denny griffin
07-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Jay,
Here is my solution. Call 1-888-762-2677 and talk to Tech Guy LIve. His web site is: techguylive.com.
He will , with your permission, log on to your computer and fix the problem while you watch the whole thing happening. I have used him 3 times in the past year. He charges $25.00 to fix the problem. You can not beat the service.
Dennis Griffin

BillPu
07-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Jay,

At this point you have two choices:

1) Call Microsoft tech support and have them help you resolve the problem.

2) Take your computer/hard drive to a data recovery service. They can attach your hard drive to another computer and back up your data to a CD/DVD.

No one can access your system because your system will not run without that .exe file. Rebooting will not help.

The problem is relatively easy to fix for a tech guy but is a little detailed for someone not familiar with the process.

It sounds as if you are short on time and need to save the data. I would suggest a data recovery service. Do not let someone reinstall an OS on your system. If you have NT or Win 2000, it will most likely wipe out everything.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

Jay Murakoshi
07-15-2006, 11:37 AM
bill and denny,

Thanks for your help. I'll try that when i get home

jay

check out the saltwater section for a report on the weather here in la paz.

JerryInLodi
07-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Jay, thank God fly fishing is simpler than DOS and computers.

Recipe:

Go to Baja.
Enjoy yourself.
Come home.
Take computer to someone who knows computers like you know fly fishing.
Pick it up when they say it is fixed.

Rip lips in Baja,

JerryInMulege