PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific coast is waiting for you right now.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-12-2006, 07:22 AM
If you live in the Valley here in California you are lucky because you can either go east to the higher elevation to 'beat the heat' or go west to the coast and get really cooled off.

July, August and September is prime time for weather and fishing on our coast. After the 4th of July the winds normally lay down as well.

There are surf perch, rock fish, halibut, jack smelt and salmon right off the coast now. September will bring Albacore too.

When the high in the Valley is over 100 degrees, it will be 80 on the coast or cooler.

Let us know if you need any advice. Lots of people on this BB fish the coast.

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/images/gallery/striper_bg.jpg

This photo is from Jay Murakoshi web site.

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/index.html

k.hanley
07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Say Hey Bill,
That's a pic of our buddy Glen Tagami. He caught that striper way down south in the L.A. region. :D
Cheers, Ken

chemdoc
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Your message was very timely Bill. We are taking my son on some college visits along the coast from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara in August, and the kids will be spending their free time in the water. I have never tried surf fishing, but it sounds like fun. I have no idea what is involved, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Jay Murakoshi
07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey Phil,

Send me an email and I will try to give you a few hints of how,what and where to hit the beaches

Jay

Flyjunkie
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
BILL,

Such a Timely Post... The Coast offers Soo much good Fishing; it's almost a shame that some flyfishers, who live close by, don't take advantage of it... :?

I always encourage Local "Trout Flyfishers" at the Shop to give the Local Surf a Try... Once they get into it, they start "fiending" for offshore Flyfishing as well...Then off to Baja..then, well: You Know what I'm getting at... :wink:

DEAN........ 8) 8)

PaulC
07-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Phil,
I went to UCSB and never left. Great school!
Let me know if and when you're in the SB. I fish here regularly in the surf and would be happy to show you around.
-Paul

larsj
07-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Last year starting July the Half Moon Bay area was heating up with the stripers following the smelt. I would guess it is going again, but haven't had a chance to make it up there yet. How long does this bite last?

--Lars

k.hanley
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Say Hey Lars,
The striper surf bite lasts through October on a typical year. The majority of the fish are taken July/Aug/Sept. The next 45-60 day window should give you great opportunities for a salty striper. Go get 'em!

As a side note, when major league baseball enters the playoffs and World Series that's the perfect time to target stripers inside San Francisco Bay. The "World Series Bite" provides lots of action especially around the north bay and middle grounds.
Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Ken,

Boat guide John Quigley says his fishing near the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge is Sept/Oct.

Neat to hear where the Stripers are every month of the year.

k.hanley
07-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Say Hey Bill,
Quiggs is on top the game. The stripers are pretty much historic runners. Meaning that the older fish travel the same routes, approximately the same time, every year. True for both coasts by the way. It's amazing to chart their travels and notice that there are fairly small variations to the dates (ususally within a few weeks either way). Very cool stuff as you mention.
Cheers, Ken

Wingman
07-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Ken and Guys,

When do the Stripers make it up to Pt. Reyes/ Bodega Bay? Also, when are the best times to hit the north coast for surfperch, Pacific Mackerel/ Jacksmelt, Rockfish, and Halibut/Flounder by both surf and canoe/float tube in the bays/estuaries?

Thanks

larsj
07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
well, now is a good time for the perch still.. I think the perch bite quiets down soon, to pick up again in the fall. The rockfish are out there :). Some guy caught a legal halibut in the surf a week or two ago here in the Monterey Bay, so they're around too.

--Lars