PDA

View Full Version : The Pit River

Adam Grace
07-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Does anybody have any recommendations on fishing spots or flies for the Pit River for my trip with my buddy Gregg, around the 18th of July?

I've never fished there before, we are prepared for some hard wading and hopefully plenty of strong wild trout.

mark
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Although I havent fished it in later July, I have always done well in early july on smaller black nymphs such as A.P.'s, black micro mayfly's, small copper johns (black) .

Also, if you stay until it gets cooler, don't hesitate to put a dry on. Caught many on a stimulator last time I was up there.

If I were you Id focus on Pit 3 and 4 as they will likely be the coolest sections this time of year.

email if you need help on getting there.

Have fun.

-Mark

Langenbeck
07-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Adam: In the old days both Neil Hansen and Bill Kiene used to fish the Pit. Bill can give you the right place to go. In 1973 Bob Rawstron, formerly of CA Fish & Game caught & released a 29" Pit River rainbow.

PatrickM
07-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Adam,
If you guys are camping, there's a place on Pitt 4 called Deep Creek Campground that's pretty sweet. Will J and I camped up there a couple years ago. The campground is right on the river, and there was noone there at all. To get there, take 299 east from Redding, then turn north on Big Bend road. Right when you get into Big Bend take the road that goes east. I think the sign says "Pitt River" or "Pitt 4" or something like that. That road goes past Tunnel Resevoir and then on to the dam at the bottom of Pitt 4 (I guess that's Pitt 5 dam). Right before the dam you'll see another road that goes to the right with a sign that says Deep Creek Campground. You can see all of these roads on the Delorme map, but only the Big Bend road is marked. There's good fishing up and downstream from the campground, and you can also drive back to the dam and hike down to fish Pitt 5.
I've fished Pitt 3 also, and in my opinion it's all just as good. There's definately more people up on Pitt 3 though.
Don't forget to bring a wading staff.

Digger
07-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Adam - Ca Fly Fisher, last month pg 28

Jasonh
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Adam, havea good trip. Resist the urge to nymph. You can catch a lot of fish up there on stimulators, caddis, and light cahills. Later.

Jason Hartwick

Charlie Gonzales
07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
But if you do go sub surface..... a size 10 rubber leg A.P. or Dark lord slams. Ive had fish straighten my hooks, but that was more towards September before the Isonychia hatch. Golden Stones, caddis, the usuall... hell there trout! Oh but dont forget crawfish patterns. Good luck buddy, take lots of pictures.

Adam Grace
07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys! I've been tying up some black rubber-legged copper john style nymphs and caddis dry fly patterns with some stimulators next on the list. We will also give Hat Creek a try as well. I love that technical fishing.

We will be camping at Burney Falls state park, very nice camping area. I might even fish Burney Creek above and below the falls during the day if it is open to fishing.

We might even take a trip to go fish the McCloud River for a day, I have been hearing some very good reports on the McCloud.

I should have my new circular polarizer for my new camera before we leave. I should be able to provide you guys with some beautiful pictures and hopefully some cool underwater pictures and video.

No matter where we fish we'll have a fun trip, we always do. Fishing for us is more about the escape and time spent with friends....but catching some nice fish always helps :)

PatrickM
07-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Adam,
I was at the campground at Burney Falls about a month ago and it was totally sold out. Just in case that happens to you guys, there's a PG&E campground in Cassel that's pretty nice and not as crowded.
Have a great trip. Looking forward to your pics.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-13-2006, 11:18 AM
We traditionally camped at 'Deep Creek' for many years.

As PM describes, you pass by Henderson Spring Ranch on the way in there.

I don't think there is any facilities left at Deep Creek but it is a wonderful place to camp.

We use to hike down stream for a mile or so on the camp side and then fish back up to the camp.

There is a great forrest service fire trail that goes upstream for miles on the camp side. We used that as our highway. You can fish from camp upstream for miles then get out on the camp side and find the trail to get back to camp.

The fishing is usually good there May, June and July depending on the snow pack/run-off.

It is again good from about mid-September till the season closes on Nov 15. This is my favorite time.

Starting in mid-Sept you can have the famed Isonychia mayfly emergence. This can be unreal at times. We use two big shaggy black weighted #8/10 nymph on 3x all day long then. The fish are under the suds in the pocket water.

Jerry Lyerly told Neil Hansen about the Pit River maybe 40 years ago? Then Neil told me and my brother about the Pit River over 30 years ago.

When 'Oregon Salmon'= Galen Geller and Phil Romig where about 16 years old my brother Dick and I took them to the Pit River to Deep Creek.

The old Powell rod family had a big connection to this river.

This is the best trout stream I have ever fished but it is really difficult to wade with large rocks that are slippery.

You can go to my REPORTS pages and read info about the Pit River there.

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/pit-river/