PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon Cay Lodge Report - Hats off to Leo Gutterres

Don Rotsma
07-09-2006, 10:42 PM
If you check out Rick J's report of our recent tarpon trip to TCL, you know we had a fantastic time. I just want to add a few thanks to the lodge and its great employees, the super guides who spoke great english and always had you positioned right on fish, and to one member of our group. Leo Gutterres. Leo has done a lot of tarpon fishing in Mexico and shared his experience and knowledge with all of us. I had spent a little time with Leo at Kiene's before a trip to Isla Blanca 2 years ago and tried to learn his leader buiding ideas. I made a few furled leaders for my trip, but never realized their potential. This trip, on the 3rd day when the wind broke and we could go after the "Big Ones" we all learned how important the leader connection is. We broke off fish up to 100lbs and needed to go back to the drawing board on knots and leaders. Leo once again introduced us to furling leaders and helped us fix the problems. Even Leo had to make a little adjustment after a very LARGE tarpon went out to sea with his fly jumping by our boat some 200 yards away and then breaking the leader at the end of the backing. By the second day, no one broke off (of course we had a lot of flies come out due to not bowing). What a difference the leaders made. Now I am not unfamiliar to furled leaders and have made long 10ft jigs and used drills to make them, but Leo's can be made anywhere including right on the boat without any jigs or drills. I am hoping Bill will talk Leo into doing a seminar on his leader furling techniques and encourage everyone to attend. I think Leo ranks up there with a lot of the big name salt water anglers in inovation and deserves the credit. don
http://www.flyfishwithdon.com/photos/Leo1.jpg

Rick J
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
I heartily agree with Don - no break offs with the furled leader though did have a hook striaghten!

Leo is a wealth of information and is always willing to share!

sculpin
07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Can you guys give us a little feed back on your set up. Did you use the furled leaders for a butt and then add a class and bite tippet ? Also do you feel the furled leader added more stretch to your leader and that is what made the difference ? Thanks

Mark

Rick J
07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
We used 20# mono and doubled it and hand furled the leader - we then doubled around 2/3 of it and furled again so we had a section of 4 strand at 80# and a section of 2 strand at 40# - we attached an 80# bite to that attached to the loop formed by furling the leader. I also just used a slim beauty for this connection. The leader was maybe 5 to 6 feet in length plus the bite but you could make it any lenth you want - When I got home I made one around 12 feet for a floating spey line.

The stretch helped alot but this thing is stong by itself - stronger than say 20# Mason class tippet. In fact it might be a bit too stong as I expect it may be stronger than the line core?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Leo Gutterres of Stockton, CA showed us this "twisted" leader system about 5 or more years. He has been evolving it ever sense.

Actually Andy and Jim at our fly shop are using it and can show anyone how to make them up. They are not difficult.

It has some benefits like some stretch so you don't break off or straighten hooks but what I like is the fact that there is a loop at the big end/butt end which goes nicely on a braided loop or factory welded loop with no lumpy knots for at least 5 feet down the leader.