PDA

View Full Version : late Truckee report

PatrickM
07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I was up in Truckee last week for a couple of days, so here's a quick late report.
The flows on the Truckee had gone up as they were letting water out from Tahoe, so I was ready for high water. What I wasn't ready for was water the color of pee soup, which was exactly what I saw when I got there. So I basically ended up fishing the Little Truckee for a couple of days.
There were quite a few anglers on the Little T, and I didn't see a fish rise the whole time I was there, but overall the fishing was decent. Small mayfly nymphs seemed to work best, such as Burks two-tone HBI and the micro-may, in sizes 18 and 20. I also tried dries and small streamers with no luck. I was kind of surprised by the lack of bug activity in general on the Little T. No real hatches, no rising fish, and not many bugs on the rocks that I turned over. :?:
One evening I made it over to one of the creeks that cross hwy 89 north of Truckee. Fished down to where the creek enters a resevoir. Had some fun swinging buggers and muddler minnows for a while. Then some caddis started coming off and got a few on dries and swinging soft hackles. It was a nice change-up from the Little T.
Anyhow, it was great to be up there. Can't wait to go back. That area is about as good as it gets IMHO. :D

p.s. I just looked at the flows and it seems like the Truckee has come down and the Little T has gone up, so this report may be completely useless to anyone heading up there soon. :?

rosebud
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Do you know if you fished Sagehen or Prosser Creek? Prosser is the first creek you cross north on 89 out of Truckee and Sagehen is the second. Prosser feeds into Prosser Reservoir and Sagehen into Stampede Reservoir.

I'm thinking of heading up there next week. Those creeks are small, but fun!

rosebud
07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Do you know if you fished Sagehen or Prosser Creek? Prosser is the first creek you cross north on 89 out of Truckee and Sagehen is the second. Prosser feeds into Prosser Reservoir and Sagehen into Stampede Reservoir.

I'm thinking of heading up there next week. Those creeks are small, but fun!

Darian
07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I fished Sagehen many years ago (before it became a UC study area). It was a beautiful little stream. However, I was under the impression that UC closed it to access (similar to the UC area on the Yuba). :? :? :? Is Sagehen open to entry now :?: :?: :?:

PatrickM
07-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Rosebud, it was Prosser Creek that I fished. Alder Creek is actually the first creek you cross. Prosser is the second. Take plenty of bug spray if you're heading up that way.
Darian, as far as know Sagehen is open to fishing. The guys at Truckee River Outfitters suggested going there, and when I drove by there I didn't see any signs indicating otherwise.

rosebud
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I think Sagehen is only closed from the UC station upstream to the campground. Can anyone confirm?