PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Report

Tony Buzolich
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes, they're still in the Yuba too.

Just got in from the water an hour ago and this morning was by far the most frustrating day yet. I've been fishing the mornings and doing okey but the last couple of trips have been slim pickings.
Today though, we found them big time by the hundreds, maybe the thousands. Some areas the bottom was black with fish, BUT getting them to bite was almost impossible. We tried every color of the rainbow and nothing seemed to evoke a hit.
You could stand very still and watch these fish in the clear water move and grab small ??? somethings and then drop down again to join the rest of the crowd so they were feeding on something.
I just read all of the recent posts on Bill's board under "Shad" and there is a lot of chatter about using Prince nymphs and Poopahs and I've heard this in years past as well but I've always done good with traditional flashy patterns UNTIL TODAY.

Any thoughts about this new food source? Is it just the time of day? Evenings have always been better but I'm kind of a morning guy and like to get out there when things are cool.
TONY

Jeff C.
07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
I've been switching from my normal Surf Candy to a size 10 BH Prince in the evenings. I tied them weighted heavy with lead wire and extra long wings. Caught 12 last night just before dark on the American. Monday evening I caught a good sized hen using a BH caddis pupa tied with ice dubbing and crystal flash tail and wing.

MSP
07-05-2006, 12:27 PM
One thing I've noticed the last couple of years is that the Shad definately are feeding. The one's in the American are gorging themselves on the abundant supply of Caddis Pupa. Fishing Rossmore, you could do a little San Juan Shuffle and the Shad would come right to your feet scarfing up the pupa. I don't target Shad, but they sure like to get in the way when fishing for 1/2 pounders. Beadhead Fox Poopah's, tan and olive and Fox Poopah emergers are extremely effective! It's hard to get a 1/2 pounder to hit your fly when there are Shad in the area, the !/2 pounders don't get a chance, the Shad seemed much quicker to the fly.

my $.02 worth

Tony Buzolich
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks a lot Jeff and MSP. This is exactly what I needed to hear from guys that are out on the water.
TONY

Sturmer White
07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey Tony
I picked up 15 last Friday night on a size 12 Prince nymph.In the early evening I used a type 3 head.Later an intermedate line.
A friend of mine uses a size12 PT. Go figure.
Sturm