PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Eggs...

Darian
07-04-2006, 05:59 PM
OK,.... How mny of you guys ever ate a pickled egg :?: :?: :?: I just made up a batch to eat with some smoked Albacore I picked up over the weekend (....talk about expensive :shock: ). Oughta go good with a bagel, some cream cheese and a beer (Leinenkugels :?: :?: :?: ). :D :D I'll bet Mem' knows about pickled eggs. :) :) :)

gryhackl
07-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Darian
Back in the midwest where I grew up in the 50's all the taverns had a huge jar of pickled eggs and beets on the end of the bar. They're the best
with beer but may may cause a little flatulance! :shock:

Darian
07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I think it's a mid-America type thing. Both my parents loved pickeled eggs and made them periodically. I just grew up with 'em.... Been making 'em ever since my Mom shared the recipe.

You're right about the flatulance, tho. Ahhh!!! Who cares.... Phhhhhhtttt!!!
(Pardon me.... :oops: :oops: )

Rob
07-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I love Jalapenos so when the jar gets 1/2 empty I boil a 1/2 dz eggs and put them in the Jar of Jalapenos for a couple days . Good stuff !!

Ed Wahl
07-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Hah! I love it! Silent but violent! Yeah, pickled eggs rock. I'm from rural Illinois, where the rivers are muddy and pike are honored. What a strange land, now that I think about it.

FlyBitten
07-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Hooo boy!! Pickled eggs.

When I was in the service in Scotland, my sub would be in for upkeep for thirty days at a time. During that period, we would have liberty which would entail imbibing multiple flavorful beers. At the end of the evening, the only place open for food was a Scottish version of the 'roach coach'. There was a jar of the eggs on any of these vehicles, which would 'prime the flatulance pump' for the following morning's meetings in the small, cramped workspace. :twisted: The air'd curl yer teeth, I tell ya. :shock: They WERE short meetings, followed by hasty dispersal of the personnel.

Great times, no doubt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2006, 11:33 PM
My dad liked butter milk and limburger cheese.

He was German-Swiss so that might account for some of it.

I have never had a pickled egg but have seen them in jars in old bars.

I am addicted to deviled eggs though.

2short
07-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I think the Brits may have the pickled egg market connered. Every single pub I went to had a huge jar of them behind the bar. All though I must admit I never saw a local eat one. Finally after many beers I just had to try one. After eating the seventh one I decided that I liked them. Anyone ever eat pickled pigs feet? I always see them in grocery stores back home (Georgia) but I don't think I've ever heard a price check for them.

Alastair
07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Darian, it comes as no surprise that you have a fondness for pickled eggs. It fits with your signature. I'm not sure how may folks know that there was a real Le Petomane. He also liked pickled eggs. Not to mention beans, sour kraut, chestnuts, beer, etc. For a closer look at this real life flatulist, see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Pétomane
People actually paid money to see this! What is it about fart jokes that is so funny? Sorry for being so OT, I just couldn't resist.

mark
07-05-2006, 09:08 AM
I can recall playing dice at one of the bars in Weaverville and the loser having to eat a pickled egg. Come to think of it, I ate a few and they weren't that bad.

-Mark

Darian
07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow!!! What a fun and interesting thread.... I had n idea there were so many afficianados out there. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reno Flytyer
07-05-2006, 11:43 AM
What fond memories this topic brings back. In my first year of junior college, a teammate took us to a place he fondly called "Mom's", a little tavern off the Hecker Pass Road just outside of Gilroy. "Mom" was kind enough to serve us beer just as long as we watched our manners and didn't cause one bit of trouble (we were only 3 years underage). She also insisted on having a designated driver even back then (1966). The ride back to town was an open window trip...pickled eggs, beer, pool and good friends - nothing quite like it. Thanks for stirring up a trip down memory lane!

mikenewman
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
30 years ago most UK pubs and traditional fish and chip shops would have had a big jar of the pickled eggs, pickled gherkins (small cucumber type thing) and pickled onions. I reckon they were a form of early birth control 'cos you had absolutely no chance with the ladies after indulging in one of those. I also, despite an almost professional familiarity with pubs from an early age, never actually saw anybody buy a pickled egg - presumably some of them must have been decades old!
Anyway these days the pubs have given way to restaurant bars, bistros and gourmet grub while the fish and chip shops are now Chinese Takeaways.
Personally, I think if God had intended people to consume vinegar He wouldn't have given us taste buds :)

Darian
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Is THAT what I've been doing wrong all these years :?: :lol: :lol: Those osified eggs left in the jar'll be what future archeologists will find as evidence of our civilizations existence. :shock: :shock:

I've tasted some wines and ciders that I thought might've turned to "vinegar mother"..... :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: