PDA

View Full Version : Information needed

flyfishingnga
07-04-2006, 10:01 AM
I will be leaving Georgia for three weeks in Fairfield on 25 July (business wink wink). I have been told that I should have some free time during my stay but that it would not be on a schedule. This will be my first trip to California and I would like to take advantage of any free time with some fly fishing for some California trout. I am not asking for anyones hotspots, just some places that I can try for some trout without too much crowding. We primarily have rainbows with a small mix of brookies and browns so I would be very interested in anything leaning toward the latter two. Are there any other species nearby? Also what patterns should I tie for this time of year? If possible I would like a few locations closer to Fairfield and some that would require a little drive and maybe an overnight. Thank you for any responses and I am looking forward to my trip. Mr. Kiene keep my name in mind, I will stop by your fly shop before my first trip and I am sure many times thereafter.

Daniel Hatcher
ngahatch@yahoo.com

Sturmer White
07-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey Georgia
I have anoter Idea for you.
Hit the American River for Shad.It is right in Sacramento and the shad are a hot fish.Sometimes easy to catch. Get a #3 sinking kine and a few shad flies. Bill Kiene's shop in town has maps and can help you to locate where to fish.You will love it!
Sturm

Darian
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the board Daniel,.... From Fairfield, there're a number of opportunities for some fly fishing within an hours drive of Fairfield. There's some good Striped Bass, Salmon, Catfish, Black Bass, Sunfish and bottom fishing available. Also, there's Trout fishing in Putah Creek and Solano Lake. 8) 8) All of these fish may be taken on a fly. However, if I were you, I'd bring a spin outfit along for back-up. If you're not already equipped for it, you can book a good Delta guide and arrange to rent or use their equipment.

You'll need to obtain a map of the Delta titled, "THE DELTA Suisun Bay, Sacramento & San Joaquin Rivers", to give you access points for Striped/Black Bass/Catfish/Sunfish. At some landings, there're rental boats available. 8) 8)

Putah Creek is just north of the Fairfield area and has some very good sized Trout in it. This website has some links to reports on the fishing. Kiene's fly shop as all of the info on the what, when, where & how of it. :) :)

Hope you have a good trip and Good luck :D :D :D

flyfishingnga
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
where can I get a copy of that map? I would like to get it before I head out there so I can spend a few long nights pouring over it. Thanks for the help guys keep the suggestions coming.

Darian
07-04-2006, 06:08 PM
The map is, generally, available from sporting goods stores and fly shops out here. Probably not available back there. I think I saw one at Kiene's. Maybe you could buy one from there by contacting them on-line. :? :?

Chris V
07-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi flyfishingnga- welcome to the board!

Here's a link to a map of the delta... http://www.delta.dfg.ca.gov/stripedbass/maps.asp

If you click on each area you can get information on access points, etc. FYI- Fairfield is located on the "Suisun Bay" section of the map.

SullyTM
07-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Daniel...Check the Sierra Secrets post in the General Informaiton section. I've been given some good tips on Sierra locations.

Putah Creek...I don't fish it often. I consider it a challenging place to fly fish! If you travel down to the small resort area you can access the area below and above the bridge from across the camping grounds. There are two gravel lots for parking. I like Access #5 which is the first access point as you travel west towards the dam. When you hike down the trail(short hike) you'll have many places to choose from. A word of two of caution...watch out for rattlesnakes, bring a wading staff if you have one, make sure you have landmarks to identify your way, and do not leave any valuables in your vehicle in plain site.

The regulars say to fish small fly patterns. I suggest bringing a few #14/#16 Olive Fox Poopahs and a few Oilve Woolie Buggers #10, #12!

Have fun.

Mike O
07-05-2006, 09:13 AM
also remember to internet search New Zealand Mud Snails (NZMS) and how not to spread them. Keep them outa GA.

MAO

flyfishingnga
07-20-2006, 10:51 AM
All right gentlemen. Just about five more days until I make my journey to your beautiful state. Does anyone have any additional suggestions? I am wondering if there are any places local to fairfield that might hold some nice brookies, or any other species besides the common rainbows. This is my first trip out west and I would like to make as much of it as possible. Thanks for the help and I hope to see you streamside.

Tight lines,
Danny

mark
07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Georgia,

In order to get into Brookies, you generally need to get up to the higher altitude streams in the sierras. One way to do this is to head up any of the major arteries into the sierras and get into those streams 5000 feet and higher this time of year.

Offhand for brookies, I have caught many smaller brookies in Wolf Creek near the East Carson river on highway 4 over the easter crest of the sierras.

Although I am no expert on it I know there are some lakes in the sierras that also can offer fine brook trout fishing some of them offering large brook trout, but can also require quite a hike.

I am more of a stream guy and the brookies I catch there tend to be on the smaller side, however if you'd like sme help on getting into them, feel free to send me an email or private message.

good luck,

-Mark

bigtj
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Rainbows are the native fish out here, and in my opinion the finest of all the trout (my opinion is very biased!). Why not go after the native/wild fish of the area? You will find the rainbows in the western sierra aren't adequately described as common, they are much more accurately described as sublime.

Have fun on your trip.

Matt Frey
07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Putah Creek is very close to Fairfield. The flows in the summer are high and it gets hot during the day, but at night and in the mornings people are catching fish. No brookies, but some wild rainbows and the occasional brown. I hope you have a good trip. Good luck!

Clayton
07-20-2006, 03:03 PM
www.putahcreekflyfishing.com

you can find recent reports and flows for putah on that site.

PatrickM
07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Daniel,
If you're willing to do a little driving and spend the night somewhere, I'd suggest checking out somewhere like the McCloud, Upper Sacramento, or Truckee rivers. These places are gorgeous and have some great fishing for native rainbows and the occassional big brown. I live in SF and can get to these areas in about four hours, so it would probably only take you about three hours or so from Fairfield. Definately worth it it you have the time in my opinion.
Good luck, and give us some reports if you get the chance.

ps Make sure to disinfect your gear from the mudsnails if you fish Putah and then go somewhere else. Those things can live for a month out of water, and it only takes one hidden in your boot to start a new population in another river. I stopped fishing Putah once the mudsnails were found there because of this.