PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Secrets

SullyTM
07-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Looking for some guideance on possible destinations for a looooong day trip or overnightner. My brother looks to visit and I have to play host. I was thinking about some good stream/river access with camping close by right on the water? I live about an hour East of Sacramento(Martinez) and don't get to Sierra that often :cry: ...Camping now-a-days isn't as "walk-in" easy as it once was...I've been following the recent threads and I'll explore those mentions...Folks have said before that the opportunities are plentiful any where off of 80...Any secret spots? :wink:

Thanks...Enjoy the 4th!! Thom

MSP
07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Hell Thom, and hour east of Sac is in the Sierras :roll: Jab, Jab.

Darian
07-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Hi Thom,.... Isn't Martinez southwest from Sacto :?: :lol:

I know I've said this before but from yourt location, I'd pick the Hwy 88 corridor. Shorter travel time; more time on the water. 8) 8) All the way up from Jackson, there's a string of lakes (Lower Bear River, Bear River Rsvrs, Salt Springs Rsvr, Silver, Caples, Woods and Red Lakes) and the Mokelumne River, all in proximity of the Hwy. 8) 8) There're other small, local lakes/rsvrs in the area as well. Camping is available, as well. :) The elevation again is from approximately 2,000' to almost 8,000' (Woods Lake). There're some small townships and stores, etc., to obtain necessities, too. 8)

If you don't mind an overnighter, you could go up Hwy 88 and return on Hwy 4 Thru Markleeville. That would expand your fishing opportunities considerably. 8) 8) The Markleeville area, alone, is worth your trip. 8)

Only one word of caution, watch out for billions of the dreaded SKEETER's. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope you have a good trip.... :D :D :D

David Lee
07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Thom !!

Of course I have secret spots .

David :D

J.R.
07-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Of course I have secret spots, though I have to agree with Darian, the 88 corridor would be your best bet as any where along 50(South Fork and Silver Fork) would most likely be over fished, and he's right about the mosquitos too.

SullyTM
07-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Darian...At least you know where I live :oops: Alas, my many notes on the numerous posts and your past destination information were recycled accidentally! Don't ask! I'll take more care...and I'll watch out for skeeters!

I don't want "secret" locations J.R., David...Just some idea of want might be possible given the recent Sierra runoff...

Mike...ya think! :roll:

I'm going to go thru the posts and make map notations...Thanks all.

Darian
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Thom,... Here's a hint. :? :? If you examine maps of the area, carefully, you'll see that there are some hidden lakes up there. Locals know about 'em but won't tell you where they are. Mainly on small streams, etc. :) :) You may have to hike a bit....

Some of those lakes have some trophy Browns in 'em. :D :D

J.R. Hubbard
07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Try outside the town of Downieville on highway 49. Plenty of places to camp and it's right on the N Fork of the Yuba. Fishing is great up there right now, I just got back!!