PDA

View Full Version : prams verses pontoons

steelie
07-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I have a question to the message board. I would like the pros and cons of prams and pontoons. Have many people swithed using either one? I'm interested in buying a floating devise, but not interested in a float tube.
Thank you very much for your information.

Ed Wahl
07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Once you have a pram, you'll never go back. Just got mine a couple months ago so I'm still learning the ropes. My tube will still be used for walk in lakes but man there's nothing like being able to take everything you might possibly need out there with you. A small pram launches quicker than you think, and take out is easy, slide it up on or into whatever you're using and thats pretty much it. Motors are also an option with a pram but I'm resisting, I really like the simplicity and asthetics of a pair of oars. I'd also like to hear from pontoon people out there, I know there's a lot of them.

Darian
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Steelie,.... I'm with Ed. Once you try a pram you'll never go back. A pram is much more sturdy and versatile than a pontoon. Some have flotation built-in and if the right hull design, are easy to row (even in currents). 8) 8) 8) I bought mine during the 70's.

You can stick on a bunch of stuuf to a pram.... Add a trolling motor or fishfinder, etc. I have an ol TPL dinghy (currently known as a Keaton). It has kept me in "the bucket on many Salmon holes in coastal/valley rivers and on some lakes and ponds.... 8)

I'll be replacing mine soon. :D :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I started using a pram in the mid-'70s before pontoon boats. I went from a round float tube to an 8' tri-hull pram.

I think pontoon boats are really great because they are easier to transport than a pram.

What I like about a pram is that you can stand and cast plus you can stand and see down under the water with polarized glasses.

They both have their advantages.

Rob
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I have always been impressed with prams.
I met a guy on the American that was going up river and stopped in the middle of a rifle to ask how we were doing. He was standing with one hand on the throttle and the other on the anchor rope. He had a small 5 hp short shaft outboard on the back. He just gave it a little more throttle and moved up river with ease. I was very impressed. They kinda remind me of a small drift boat. I saw quite a few being used on the Yuba.

Rob.

http://www.springcreekprams.com/10tailwater.htm