PDA

View Full Version : CA Routes 88 and 89

J.R.
07-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I went fishing this past Sunday along Highways 88 and 89, as well as Silver Fork Road. Had no luck at the Silver Fork of the American, but did notice large numbers of small midges coming of the water. I also had no luck on the West Fork of the Carson, but I love going there because it's a beautiful river. Stopped by the East Fork, but didn't fish because of a lack of time, though I did see some spots I'd like to fish next time I'm up there. I could have beat myself for this one, fished Caples Lake for a while with a foam hopper pattern and had a 14+ inch rainbow take the fly, but I missed the hook set. :x Went to Silver Lake, and had a 9 inch rainbow refuse my Wooly Bugger at the last second 4 or 5 times. :x

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, but this a condensed version of what I was going to say because I have be somewhere in a couple minutes.

If you have any advice or suggestions about what I could do next time, it would be greatly appreciated and God only knows I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, John

Ed Wahl
07-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi J. R. , you might want to try Red Lake. Are you fishing from shore or getting out on the water? I was at Red Lake a couple weeks ago, a lot of Cutts being caught on 'buggers on the bottom or midges on the top. A plus for Red Lake is a pair of Bald Eagles. Got some more stuff but would take a p. m.

J.R.
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
I was thinking of hitting Red Lake this past trip, but my dad and I are planning on fishing it next time we're up there. I mainly fish from there shore, but I have a float tube I've been dyin' to use. What method would anybody recommend?

Thanks, John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Nancy Siegler loves Red Lake.

She uses a float tube, sinking line and very small (12/14) olive wooly buggers.

http://www.theladybugs.com/

Ed Wahl
07-03-2006, 10:49 PM
That would have to be the same Nancy that I saw the other week. She's got that lake dialed in pretty well. It was quite a treat to watch her work. Made a believer out of me, think I'll tie up some little bitty buggers for next time.

Darian
07-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I've fished Red Lake many times over the years with good results fom shore and floating. The shoreline gets pounded by bait/gear guys. Even so, Red Lake produces. 8) 8) 8)

I haven't used the small wooly buggers but will try them, now. I tend to think that larger wooly's would work for the Cutthrout, as well. Since there're Brookies/Rainbows in there, patterns of the usual suspects will work, too. I like to use sink-tips up there. 8) 8)