PDA

View Full Version : Float tubes

Alastair
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a float tube. I had my first experience with one on Gumboot Lake last Friday and I loved it. I could use some advice on what kind to buy. I like the Trout Unlimited ones just by the looks of it, but I really don't know what to look for. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adam Grace
07-02-2006, 12:04 AM
OUtcast makes some very nice float tubes. For about $150 you can get their least expensive model (Fish Cat 4) but the Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat have much better, longer lasting and lighter polyurethane bladders with better valves starting aroun $300. Check out the Outcast tubes.

BigBuddha
07-02-2006, 02:20 PM
How was Gumboot?

Alastair
07-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Gumboot was absolutely beautiful! I caught one 10 incher on a green leech pattern and my friend caught the biggest trout he ever caught on a fly rod. He was using a white leech pattern. It was about 16 to 18 inches and he guessed about three pounds. He had a hard time just getting it in the net! While we were there we were entertained by a bald eagle flying around. There were still patches of snow on the ground. We also went to Mumbo Lake but we didn't fish, we just had a sandwich and a beer and soaked in the scenery.

BigBuddha
07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I used to fish those lakes in that area years ago. Absolutely nobody would ever be up there. At that time only the locals were fishing them. Beautiful area. Did you get a chance to fish the Upper Sac above lake Siskyou?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Outcast "Fish Cat 4" is $149 (best deal)

Outcast "Fat Cat" is $299 (it is bigger with a better bladder)

alaskanfish
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Check out the Trout Unlimited Tioga! This is a very light weight, comfortable, and streamlined for more efficient travel. I own a couple of them and love 'em.

Alastair
07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the reply alaskanfish. That is exactly what I just ordered from Cabelas. I did my research and it seemed to be a good deal.
BigBuddha, I did stop at a few spots on the Upper Sac above Lake Siskiyou. No fish, but boy is it ever gorgeous up there! Sadly, my buddy tripped a bit and broke the tip off of his favorite rod. He made it himself from a Sage blank. He was really bummed.