PDA

View Full Version : Ponds in West Sac / south Sac areas

Mike Churchill
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I'm still relatively new to the area and searching for someplace close to home to chase bass and bluegill--with and without the kids. I live in the Pocket area.

On a shad thread that wandered a bit off topic, BillPu recently mentioned catching some bass at a local pond in West Sac. Can Bill or anyone else tell me where that pond is? :?

There was also a brief discussion on that same thread of the big pond on Laguna Creek off Bond road down in Elk Grove, which I have seen but not yet tried. Anyone fished it?

Mike

Chris V
06-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Mike,

I don't know about West Sac or the south area, but I'm planning on taking my daughter (whose 6) out this weekend to the pond @ Mather to hook up some bluegill- easy catching :D out there.

Ed Wahl
06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
The canal that runs out of Lake Natomas through Rancho Cordova and southwest through S. Sac. has panfish and Bass in it. I believe the state record green sunfish came out of there. I lived in West Sac, but don't know of any ponds. Maybe the sloughs that feed the main toe drain out by the chp academy? I have caught crappie in them, but not very easy to fly fish due to brush and steep banks.

Sturmer White
07-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Hey Mike
If you go south on Hwy. 5 to Hwy. 12 and exit east one block to Thorton rd. Turn Right to the first right turn under the freeway and right again when you do go under the freeway. This takes you to the ponds created when they used the dirt to raise hiway 5. You will need a float tube.
The ponds are quite long and steep sided. Fish the edges.
Good luck.

BillPu
07-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Mike,

The pond I fish at is private. However, there is another one that has some large bass in it. You would need a float tube to fish this one. This pond is located behind the Broderick boat ramp. Take the I street bridge and turn right on 5th street. Turn right on the street just before Fountain Drive and walk across the field towards the river. You'll see a path on the left to launch your tube.

Good luck.

Bill