PDA

View Full Version : Guide Setting a Bad Example

Jeff C.
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
I've been fishing for shad on almost a daily basis on the American and I observed a well used guide (his boat is always loaded with clients) netting a shad and then bouncing it in the net like it was a flap jack several times before flipping it into the water. I've seen him do it every single time I've see him out this season. I think he is setting a bad example because I started seeing another boat captain doing the same thing after he saw the guide doing it one evening. Now this new guy is doing it every time I see him. Are they going to start fliping steelhead in their nets too?

Darian
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure I understand what flipping in the net means from what you're describing. :? :? I've never seen anything done that even approached what you're describing nor do I understand why anyone would want to flip a fish in the net. :? :? :?

As you saw it, was this action used to remove a hook or to toss a fish for the fun of it :?: :?: :?: Either one would be a strange action but..... :? :?

Jeff C.
06-28-2006, 01:29 PM
He flippped the net up so the shad hung in the air and then fell back into the net several times and then finally pulled the net away so the shad fell back into the water. I'm pretty sure that the hook was already taken out.

Darian
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Seems like an unecessarily cruel and crude act.... :( :( Did you get the guide's name or the guide services name from his boat :?: :?: :?: If so, you might be able to advise him to stop his actions or you'll let everyone know what he's been doing.... 8) 8) That should provide him with an incentive to stop. 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
06-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Never forget ......

Shad are VERY , VERY tender fish - grab one hard , tangle one in a net , fight him too long , or drag it onto the rocks ..... one less spawning Shad :(

Don't believe it ?? When flows are under 2000 CFS , take a swim below any popular Shad run - you will see a mess of those little fellas croaked-out on the bottom . Cold flows seem (to me , anyways) to make them a bit tougher , and warmer water seems to kill 'em off quicker .

I hate seeing folks out there using 5 wt. rods and 4 lb. tippets ..... playing those poor devils for 7 or 8 minutes ...... :x

David